Sight Reading Exercises

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by basspunk2005, Aug 14, 2005.

1. basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    Can anybody post up some scores of bass clef please that arnt too easy but arnt majorly hard as I want to work on my sight reading. I have been sight reading for a while now so I have allready worked on the easy easy stuff. Any help will be good cheers
  2. Amastacatious

Jul 20, 2005
    Go to and go to the bass transcriptions. He has a ton of them. Also, the Simandl, although it is aimed towards double bass, is great for practicing sight reading. And when you practice, don't sight read stuff you know you can read. Find something you can't sight read and learn it and become familiar with all the note patterns and rhythms. So when you come across something again thats similar, you'll do alright. Sight reading is just like normal reading, you can't actually read EVERY note to do it well. You have to be able to look at whole "phrases" or rhythm figures and just be able to recognize them as one big thing.
  3. Eoghan

Dec 5, 2004

Wow! Thank you, honestly. That is exactly the kind of site I have been looking for. Thanks.
  4. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    look for classical music books im working through a bach book for cello and not only is it really good reading but it is also really good for my playing. look into these classical things they really help. But if your a jazz player as i myself am theres nothing better than the Real Book!
  5. J S Bach is really good for learning to sight read, the 6 cello suites have the advantage of being beautiful pieces of music to add to your repertoire too! :smug: