Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sight Reading

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Anyone know what I can do/read to improve my site reading?

I've been to Musictheory.net and I've done the Note Trainer like 1,000 times...

all the sheet music I have has tab under it,and my eyes wander :bawl:

2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Find sheet music without tabs. Your eyes won't be able to wander.

3. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I used Simplified Sight-Reading For Bass by Josquin des Pres. It's a pretty good book that encompasses a lot of different aspects to sight reading and is a pretty good book to get the fundamentals down. You may want to check that out.

4. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Get the Rufus Reid book!!!

5. buy the real book bass clef and play tunes out of that. Then you get both your reading down and also you learn to play songs, you kill two birds with one stone.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yes, that is a great suggestion, however, The bass Clef Real book(as are all 'the real book' series) are illegal and hard to find.

Your next best bet if you can't find a bass clef real book, would be to check out the bass clef version of 'the new real book' I think that currently volume 3 is the only one in bass clef, which is lame because volume 3 is more moving into blues and soul standards than jazz standards(not that I'm complaining, but I would like the bass clef real book) Fake books are expensive though! :meh: I was at the Berklee bookstore today, and they are all like $40, pretty lame, but then I guess it's a small price to pay to learn some stuff.

the best suggestion is to transcribe though, that will do wonders for your understanding of music, your ability to read, and your ability to play a chart.

An exercise I used to do, that really helped my reading(which isn't that great admittedly, but it'd be a lot worse if I never did this exercise, and a lot better if I hadn't stopped)

take a piece of sheet music, and basically just fill in note heads, don't worry about stems, just do the heads, fill up the whole page in randomized note heads then just read through it verbatim, throw in some rests here and there once you start getting comfortable just reading notes, now, once you have exhausted that page, turn it over and read it that way. It may not be very musical, BUT, it will help get your reading 'chops' down somewhat.

but yeah, transcribe, transcribe, transcribe

7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I disagree, to get better at reading you read, to get better at hearing stuff and transcribing you transcribe. Nothing improves your reading more than repetition and that means reading everyday stuff that you haven't already read and doing it slowly. You need to be able to recognize notes on the staff and map them to your instrument and you also need to recognize rhythmic patterns and get them under your fingers. Reading in an actual playing situation helps a lot as well.

If the only music you can find is in treble clef, read that, it will come in handy when there is no bass clef part. I say read, read, read, that's how you get better at reading.

8. Thats what I did with Bach's Prelude In C Minor (located at Lucas Pickford's site). I transcribed like 1 whole line,and learned each measure's notes first...and then the timings.

9. Yes,I am interested in taking Piano class next year in school,so I'ma learn Treb too,but I'd like to master F clef first :D

10. Everytime an issue of BlassPlayer magazine appears in my mailbox, I photocopy all pages that have paragraphs of sheetmusic. There are usually 3-5 pages that I can photocopy and throw into an ever-growing binder.

Whenever I need some sight-reading exercises, I reach for the binder instead of rooting through back-issues of BassPlayer magazine.

It's worked pretty well so far,

Rob.

11. I wanna subscrive to BP mag :meh:

12. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    As always...

I recommend Mel Bay's "Note Reading Studies For Bass" by Arnold Evans. :)

Besides that book, what has also helped me with my sight reading skills learning etudes from Simandl et al. You can probably find some books in a music store that sells stringed instruments. My teacher has books upon books of music for the upright bass. Doesn't matter if it's for upright. It has done me worlds of wonder. :)

13. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Why not just download them in pdf format and print them at a library? They're already illegal so you're not really stiffing anyone by doing so. I've never ran across the bass clef version though.

14. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    All of these real books, fake books and aebersold books etc etc can be found on KaZaA or other share programs. Search using appropriate name via documents....they're all out there (bass clef too!!) if you feel ok about using that type of program.... ;)

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

17. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
  18. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    What has worked well for me was paying some cash for Sibelius.

I don't know if you know what Sibelius is but its a notation program. You can download midi files and convert them, strip out the bass part, alter the tempo and play along.

Or scan some music in, and play along

Or point and click some sheet music in and play along.

I haven't tried converting tab to notation though - it might need some tweaking as I haven't spotted bass tab in Sibelius.

I found it gave me a chance to set up some simple rhythms and notes to listen to what it should sound like, then to make some changes, listen to the changes etc etc.

And of course you can play your bass along with the computer.

Worked for me anyway :)

19. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    How true. I too have a copy of "G7", and it's a great tool.

If anyone wants to learn more, try here:

http://www.sibelius.com/products/homeusers.html

20. i dont read tabs much, i find reading music much better, and as to improving ur sight reading, go to a music store, buy a couple books that are just above ur difficulty lvl and just practice; the more practice the faster u get