1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Signal Routing Problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pugie, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Pugie

Pugie

Feb 1, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've been trying a new pedalboard layout but now I've gotten a problem that I hope some of you might know how to solve!

I'm using a roadrage mini a/b box to route my signal into two different effect paths and at the end of the two I'm using a Roadrage 2 in 1 out pedal to merge the signals together again. The reason I'm not just using some kind of loopersystem with two effect loops is that I want to be able to use a looper/phrase sampler in one path and then change to the other and play my bass through that one. The sampled part is supposed to be playing simultaneously with me but the effects I use should only affect the bass sound, OR if i use my DD7 in the other path to loop with, the effects is only going to affect the looped sound. From what I know that is not possible with a loopersystem, it doesn't keep both effect-returns ON all the time, right?

So, to the problem. One of the signal paths is a lot lower in volume. I guess it's some kind of buffer problem but my knowledge in those kinds of things are pretty limited.

I've been looking at the Lehle Parallel L or M. It says it can handle both low and high impedance. Could that be a solution? Instead of the 2 in 1 out pedal I mean.

Could it be something else I haven't thought about?

The effect chain:

Boss TU-3 > Way Huge Green Rhino > Dwarfcraft The Great Destroyer > 3 Leaf Audio Groove Regulator > Roadrage mini a/b

1) Digitech Jamman Solo XT > Roadrage 2 in 1 out
    2) BOSS DD-7 > DBA Robot > EHX Freeze > BOSS PS-6 > Roadrage 2 in 1 out

I guess I should mention that if i take out the BOSS PS-6 from the chain the volume gets alot better. It's not really as loud as the other path but definetly usable. I really want to be able to use it though.

I'm thankful for any tips! :)

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm looking at the Roadrage site and it's hard to tell--are either of the pedals you have buffered? It looks like the Mini A/B isn't, but I can't be sure. So, do you know?

3. Pugie

Pugie

Feb 1, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm not sure but I think none of them are buffered.

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    OK so that points to one significant suspect, the 2-into-1 box. Using a passive device as a mixer leads to all kinds of signal problems, including feedback, tone loss, and screwy levels. Before anything else, you should try an active mixer instead, like a Boss LS-2 or one of those Lehle Parallels.

5. Pugie

Pugie

Feb 1, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks! I'll give one of them a try.

6. bezo420

bezo420

Aug 28, 2011
    Mentor
    You need a buffer in the chain to use an ABY. And, not just a weak Boss pedal buffer, but a good buffer.

I would look into Radial Engineering. Top notch.

7. Pugie

Pugie

Feb 1, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I don't use an ABY pedal, which one are you referring too? The A/B or the 2in1out?

8. If you're using only an ab, then you don't need a buffer any more than you would if you were running bass into amp.

If you were running aby, you might could use a buffer if your bass is passive, but most Boss buffers would be fine, IMO.

You can pay as much as you want for a buffer though, it's no skin off my back :).

9. Pugie

Pugie

Feb 1, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The problem is not the A/B, it's about merging two signal into one. And possibly the buffers before it.

10. I was responding to Bezo's post, I think he was referring to your AB.

I didn't mention anything further because I think an active mixer will solve you right up.

11. Pugie

Pugie

Feb 1, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Ah! Okay, thanks!

12. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Yeah, honestly Bezo's post was a case of somebody knowing only a few pieces of the puzzle and thinking they have the whole thing. I don't mean to insult Bezo, only to say you don't need any more or different buffers beyond the active mixer, because scientifically, that mixer stage is where the buffer (active, powered gain stage) will actually help you.

13. bezo420

bezo420

Aug 28, 2011
    Mentor
    It's just been my experience with signal splitters that they work best when they get buffered. I'm sorry for mentioning an ABY. I misread your OP.

Either the signal splitter or the 2 in 1 out pedal would have to be active to solve issues like that. An active mixer would correct problems like that. An active AB splitter might fix the issues also. Either way, we're all talking about adding a buffer.

14. Pugie

Pugie

Feb 1, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm hijacking my own thread with another routing question. Is there a pedal that's got two inputs and two outputs and by stepping on the button you change which way each signal is going out?

Like this: First input A goes to output A and input B goes to output B. With a press you make input A go to output B and input B to output A. I don't want any mixing of the signals, just a way to redirect them.

15. I don't know of a specific builder that makes one, but if you describe it to a builder that does that sort of thing, it would be easy enough to make. I could do it for you if my garage didn't look like a tornado hit it.

LoopMaster may do something like that.