1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Signal Splitter question

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by tracer03, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Hi -

I'm looking for an affordable (not cheap, but thrifty) way to split my signal into two amps. I have an older Yamaha 200w amp - 18" speaker which has awesome low-end, but little definition - and I have a GK Backline 210 which adds great mids and presence, but not enough bass 'oomph'.

I'm also running some effects - CEB-3, Overdrive, EQ, etc. - that I would like to isolate to the GK so the bass doesn't get too 'muddy'.

Essentially, I'd like to run clean to the 1-18" and dirty to the 2-10. I've been looking at boxes such as the (Nady db-1 or the DOD VAC270, but I'm not sure if this is what I'm looking for.

I'm on a bit of a budget (as in, 'under $100') - for now, at least.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Neither of those boxes will do what you want. The Nady has balanced outputs, and you need unbalanced. The DOD is an A/B (either/or), you need an A/B/Y (either/or/both). Yet even so, a typical ABY box provides no benefit over a simple Y cable. There are four basic options:

1) Cheap items like a Y cable or typical ABY box. They will all sound and work the same--good enough, but could be better. Tone suck when used with passive basses.

2) DIY. That way you pay the least and get as good of a quality as you yourself can build.

3) Higher-priced splitters like the Lehle P-Split. Excellent quality, costs too much for most people.

4) An effect pedal with a stereo output, like some choruses. Believe it or not, that would be your best bang per buck, because the splitter in those is typically buffered, eliminating the tone suck caused when using a passive Y split and passive basses.

3. Great - that's exactly what I needed to know. I have a Boss Bass Chorus, so I can run a second line out of that and give it a try.

Thanks!