Simple - most prob stupid pickup questions.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Skapunkgiz, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Skapunkgiz

Skapunkgiz

Jul 8, 2008
    Bristol, UK
    Hey all -

first off, good times to be part of the forums - ive been trolling for some time and want to attempt to fix up my old Peavy milestone 3.

Now my question to you all; i want to install some Seymour Duncan quarter pounders, and wack in a pre-amp too (undecided as to which one, probs Seymour Duncan STC-2).

Would i be able to install (and please forgive my ignorance) these to my Peavy? Or do you have to get ones specificly for each bass.

Im not sure how you can just "replace" pickups, however, i do understand wiring...any help would be more than appreciated.

cheers
    Giz

2. I couldn't say about the Preamp, but it looks like the Milestone 3 will take standard-sized jazz bass replacement pickups. The best way to tell would be to measure your pickups and compare them with the specs from Seymour Duncan. You can get the specs for the Quarter Pounders at http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/basslines/progressive-1/sjb3_quarterpou/ . There's a different size for the bridge and neck position.

3. Skapunkgiz

Skapunkgiz

Jul 8, 2008
    Bristol, UK
    Cheers man - figured that would be the case -

Just wanted to check really, always a lot better when ya got a little information to back your ideas :hyper:

4. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    That's new.. we used to squire, but peavy is more colorful :)

Seriously though, always check the string spacing and the actual size of the pickup. I would suggest to take a look at my new favorite, Dimarzio. As for your primary question goes, it usually is as simple as "just replacing" the pickups. You unsolder the previous pickup, unscrew it, put the new one and do the soldering job. One other thing you may consider is shielding the control cavity with a copper tape.

5. Skapunkgiz

Skapunkgiz

Jul 8, 2008
    Bristol, UK
    Thanks man :)

Will deffo measure up when i get home - think quarter pounders will sit nicely in a pink and black checked peavy milestone body!!!

:bassist:

6. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    What is with everyone loving the duncan quarterpounder? I hated that pickup I Have one in my p bass which is going to be replaced with a nordstrand np4 soon. The pickup doesnt have that mid rangy growl that p basses are famous for. So if your ok with that go ahead and get the quarterpounder.

7. JMDT

JMDT

Jan 30, 2008
    Louisville, Ky
    The quarterpounder was intentionally designed mid-scooped. Almost the opposite of what most look for in a P bass pickup.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 19, 2021