Simple Pream Suggestion Wanted

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greg_M, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Greg_M

Greg_M

Aug 24, 2010
    Datil, NM
    I have a bunch of basic amps sitting around. These were made for stereo/hifi applications. What I need is a very simple preamp to drive one of them. The commercial ones I see out there are way over complicated. All I need is volume and a tone control or two and an On/Off switch.

Is there such a thing anymore?

Alternately, a simple schematic would do.

Suggestions?

Greg

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Depending on the input requirements for the poweramps, there are many bass preamps in stomp pedal form that *may* work well. Look into Tech 21 and also EBS, (Valve Drive) for starters. Maybe even the MXR Bass DI+.

3. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Or the Aguilar Tone Hammer.

4. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Greg,
    Never tried with bass but still have a tube Bogen 60 watt comercial pa amp and a Eico mono amp that kill for practice PA work with a cheap Tapco mixer
    Would think a preamp pedal would be the most economical although I would think there is some basic schematic on the net if you want to build

5. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    A little tiny mixer board?

6. Greg_M

Greg_M

Aug 24, 2010
    Datil, NM
    I was thinking about one of those too (I have a little Tube preamp) but I'm wondering if the requirements for a microphone and a Fender bass wouldn't be different?

I guess it would not hurt to experiment since I already have it

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021