Simple question are we moving back to combo amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rtslinger, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Jared Houseman

Jared Houseman

Jul 5, 2018
    I think most people prefer to get their favorite amp the pair it with however many cabs they need for the gig. That way your getting the tone you love that can scale up and down by bringing one or multiple cabs

Johnny Fingers likes this.
  2. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Mostly I use a little Acoustic Image hatbox, add an external cab if it's a big room.
    Haven't really had much use out of the Aguilar AG700 + pair of 1x12s in a while. All my big iron -- vintage Traynor and Trace Elliot heads, 2x15 and 8x10 cabs -- are long gone.
    I loved them, but man they were heavy and a hassle to move. I've done gigs with a just a JDI or a sansamp or bassbone and monitors. Much easier.
    But yes, combos for me.

64943726_10214305530340918_5977826587419082752_n.jpg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  3. wmhill

wmhill Inactive Suspended

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    I have a combo for practice at home- but wouldn't consider one for gigging. I like the option of different cabs to match the gig. Sometimes it's a single 12" cab, sometimes it calls for a pair of 2X12 cabs.

MissThemyscira and gmarcus like this.
  4. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    As you can see, I use a Subway preAmp DI. Next best thing.

agedhorse and Bassiclees like this.
  5. 0973B75F-D3FB-4994-A28E-014EB9EF421C.jpeg AFEDE38F-4D45-4104-BB2E-4376948AB1FB.jpeg
    Well, I have two combos rated at 320 watts each. Not class D or have neos, but these guys rock. But compared to world tour Eden gear to the right, they are a close 2nd, but slaved, they are killer.

6. I ended up with a modular Ampeg rig that is scalable.
    - MicroVR head
    - V-4B head
    2x210AV cabs
    2x112AV cabs

I didn't plan it that way, but I have found the versatility of mix-n-match to be fantastic. I think I've rehearsed and/or gigged with most configs of it.
    Unless it is a model that allows for an extension cab, a combo would actually be a limitation.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'm still a head and cab guy and can't see myself ever going back to a combo. I need the flexibility of mixing and matching cabinets to the requirements of the gig.

8. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Funny, I was just about to post the opposite when I saw this. I used a combo about 20 years ago, a Roland, and then made the switch to neo cabs and 5 lb heads, when they started to come in vogue. But, lately, I've been noticing more combos popping up on the local scene, mostly GK models, then say, 5 or 6 years ago. With very lightweight heads and cabs, I don't know why combos should be coming back around again, unless you are just in love with the sound of one.

9. I thought Genz Benz had a great solution in the Shuttle amps where the head clamped to a bracket on the top of the cab. It could be either a combo or a head depending on what you need.

agedhorse and Joebone like this.
  10. HotelX

HotelX Supporting Member

I do. I know some schooled players using markbass, Ampeg, and trace Elliot combos.

Modder likes this.
  11. Staccato and DJ Bebop like this.
  12. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    Nope

Dubious Aa, DJ Bebop and Passinwind like this.
  13. marchone

marchone Since 1951 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Small combos are great for practice at moderate volumes. Many are super for Jazz outfits in small clubs. I can’t imagine one with a power trio.

14. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    Both options have their place.

Until I can get a 250w combo at under $1000 CAD and 25lbs that's got enough beef to hang with the band I'm sticking with separates.

In fact after 3 years of owning a Rumble 500H and matching 210 I may be finally bringing home a new head on Friday. We shall see though.

15. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    We see combos more for the smaller practice/acoustic gig type applications and more separates for larger applications.
    I use separates even for the small practice/acoustic gig application - lighter weight than equivalent combo. And have a very small battery powered combo for when it is applicable.

BBassBassington likes this.
  16. ELG60

ELG60

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    I prefer the versatility and my perception of higher available quality offered by separate components.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  17. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    250W combo. Just sayin. And if you are not in huge venue's ( be honest ) and no IEM's or Wedge's, the 2 upward-firing drivers are kinda nice ). Cheap? E = MCsomething

upload_2021-6-9_22-35-4.png

RodRy, Morrighan, SJan3 and 2 others like this.
  18. Head an cab(s) for all but the quietest gigs.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  19. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I use a PJB combo for practicing at home most of the time.
    I use a combo of a Mesa head and a couple 12" the rest of the time.

I use a combo all the time for guitar.

nbsipics likes this.
  20. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I went back to using combos in 2017 and I’m not going back to the head/cab setup.

agedhorse, Staccato and Jason Hollar like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021