Simple question are we moving back to combo amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rtslinger, Jun 9, 2021.

1. With Class D all the rage and extremely light cabinets, is the bass community opting for combo amps instead of the amp head and separate cabinet?
    I have been giving it some serious thought, you'd only need to bring one thing instead of the head and extra cabs not to mention additional cables.
    If you were to switch back what would be your rig of choice for gigs?

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i have both, like both, use both, but i'm thankful for the 'modularity' (different configurations) i have to work with. they're all smallish systems, but they can be combined in different ways if/when i need to go big(er).

Matt Power, RodRy, Al Kraft and 25 others like this.
  3. HotelX

HotelX Supporting Member

Depends on the gig. My fender rumble is good for the quieter gigs, but for reggae I like my barefaced 2x12 and Mesa head

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I'd be happy to go back to a combo amp. My main reason for choosing separates is because I enjoy tinkering with homemade speakers, and I can choose fairly high performance components -- Class D head and neo speaker. But the tiny gain in convenience, and the relative lack of gigs to justify new gear, keeps me with what I've got for now.

Besides, when stuff gets really small and light, I can just strap the head to the speaker and call it a combo...

upload_2021-6-9_16-45-38.png

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021

5. I have both and both have their pluses and minuses. These days as an old man, I prefer to carry the early edition Markbass CMD121P to the venue - make a second trip for the NY121P extension. Make a third trip to the Truck for my Bass and a mic stand. DONE!

On the other hand, I (sometimes) miss the idea of a Heritage 8x10 with a Heritage CL on top. It is a feeling of POWER for me. But alas..........old age dictates that those days are well behind me..........

6. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Not I.

My gigging rig of choice remains my rig of choice; a GK MB500 into a 115 SWR Golight for practice or the very smallest of gigs, and either one or two 410 SWR Golights for most regular gigs.

Pulverizor likes this.
  7. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I don't see combo's in use at any of my local gigs.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Damn skippy I'll use a combo if the gig is right for it.

RodRy, TinIndian, btmpancake and 10 others like this.
  9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Depends a lot on the gig and the equipment.

I use a Fender Rumble 100 for most gigs, but I also have a Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.2 docked on a 12" cab and I can add a second 2x10 cab. The Shuttle is essentially a combo with a 3.75 pound 600W (peak) amp that can be separated, which I think is the best of both options.

When class D amps get so light that they're essentially piggybacking on a cab, it's hard to tell the difference between a combo and separate units.

Oh - I also have a Genz lightweight 2x12 Neo cab, but it's only because I have delusions that I might have to be loud at some point. The Shuttle and the 1x12 paired with the 2x10 can get silly loud. I should probably sell the Neo 2x12.

RodRy, RColie, tindrum and 1 other person like this.
  10. I don't have any working combos any more, so this is it...
    20210605_151850.jpg

Or this...
    20210213_144124.jpg

11. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Rb210 as a one cab solution. Or, a pf50t and a 115he

johnnynitro likes this.
  12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you have a combo, you have to bring everything everywhere. With a modular amp, keep one cab where you practice, the other where you rehearse, and you only have to carry your bass and head.

RodRy, punchclock, jeff7bass and 8 others like this.
  13. Jack Deth

Jack Deth

May 7, 2020
    Missouri
    Not sure about others, but I’m running a Hartke HD508. Plenty loud for my house. Got back into playing after years of nothing due to COVID lockdown, so no experience gigging it.

RodRy, shoot-r and DJ Bebop like this.
  14. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Not a chance here. I don’t mind them when they are supplied, but an amp that fits in a gig back pocket renders them obsolete for me. I like that in the event of a failure on a gig I stand a better chance of scrounging up an amp or another speaker to get by, and I am pretty hooked on having a pair of speakers to scale up or down based on the gig.

SC Bassboy, shoot-r and lomo like this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I have two combos, but after getting a practice area broken into and my prized Fender Twin got stolen, I don't leave anything behind anymore.

KaraQ, RodRy and Clutchcargo like this.
  16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Fender Twin never, but I'd leave a ratty 410 or 115.

17. If I had the scratch...I'd be all over one of them new Ampeg Rockets...
    Just as soon as I scratch off this lottery ticket...
    Hmmm....
    Looks like I'm still using the old head-and-cab...:sour:

agedhorse and DuluthDank like this.
  18. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Combo? Not me. A couple of years ago I picked up an Orange Terror Bass head (around 11 lbs.) and a couple of Orange OBC112’s (26 lbs. ea.). I’ve only gigged it a couple of times, once with one cabinet, once with both. Can’t see needing any more. And the Terror Bass isn’t available as a combo.

don21480, dcbassist5 and gmarcus like this.
  19. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    I have a rumble 500c and it is good for small to medium gigs but I usually use it with my BRM Simplex 1x15. That combination is all the amp I ever need. The BFM is loaded with a neo 3015 and only weighs around 35 lbs so it's a pretty easy load in and out. (imho) The best way to go these days is with a light but powerful combo with an extension 2x10 or 1x15 for those times you need a little more. I'd much rather have too much than not enough.

q2CQ7PV.jpg

btmpancake and BBassBassington like this.
  20. Bassiclees

Bassiclees Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2020
    As soon as Mesa Boogie makes a SubwayD815 I'll gladly move to a combo.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021