Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Single cut advantages?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Masher88, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    What are the advantages of having a single cut body over a double cut? Is the neck more stable for more string tension or something? Is it just for looks? This post has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find a thread on it. Thanks! Been thinking about a Benavente for a little bit. They look beautiful!

2. More stable = more sustain, in my experience. I can't see how the string tension could be affected. I own a Bennie SC and it shakes and vibrates like a living breathing beast when I dig into it. Good stuff, you can't go wrong with a Benavente, which SC-shape do you prefer?

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The main advantage (or not) seems to be aesthetics. That's pretty much indisputable... they look different.

As far as anything else, that's all a crapshootL:D. Just like most components of building, the sum of the parts is what counts. There's no guarantee you wouldn't get more sustain from one builder's doublecut over another's single. The same is true with examples from the same builder.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Brad is right. I've played singles and doubles, and I find one has no advantage over the other. It really is a crapshootL.

Besides, I personally think a lot of sustain is quite undesirable on a bass, and out of all the qualities I look for when buying a bass, sustain is right up there with what type of strap it comes with.

T. Brookins likes this.
  5. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I think I prefer the A style single cut. Maybe in a maple or buckeye burl....D----Liscious!!! Thanks for your comments. It was something I was wondering about. The single cut shape really makes it look like you mean business! Even if it doesn't do anything structurally...it still makes people go...man, this dude is serious! :bassist:

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Actually I can be very silly with mine.

This is similar to the idea that if you have a nice bass you'd better be able to play it.

Or what?;)

7. The thing about sustain, +1 with Brad!
    And one sure thing is that you have a different feeling while playing...That's my experience!

Vince

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The two Brubaker sixes I have (one double cutaway, one single) feel identical.

9. So I was surely unders the shock of trying the first one! ;)

10. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    The disadvantage is that my wife thinks they look ugly and won't let me buy one!

ahilgaz likes this.
  11. They stop you wrapping your thumb around the fingerboard. :D

12. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...yeah, wifes stop a "lot" of people from buying things...not mine though, fortunately...

~S~

13. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

A GOOD singlecut always seems more alive to me than a non-singlecut. But that is for the good ones. Some are just fancy dogs. It is the bass, not the looks.

Dan K.

14. JimmyM, am I missing something? If a bass sustains 'too much', one can mute. If it has little sustain, you can't conjure it up w/technique- short of using an e-bow.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sustain is a non-issue for me. I have never been in a situation where I felt like I needed more sustain, ever, and I've played everything from oldies to jazz to metal. I don't like a note to ring and ring and ring. I've decided that the amount of sustain you get on an average bolt-on is plenty enough for my tastes, and of all the things people have said to me about my sound, nobody has ever said, "Man, you don't have enough sustain." I have plenty and I don't need or want any more than a standard Fender gives you. When I play one of my neck-throughs, it kind of irritates me how much sustain it has.

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Not really... you just have farther to go.

:bag:

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I like excellent sustain on the basses I own that have it and don't miss it on the ones that don't. Funny how that works;)

Biggest difference for me re: sustain is the way I can pluck the string. More sustain can give a more even attack which is nice if you play with a light touch. Not necessarily "better", just differently.

18. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    ROTFL! Found a qoute I can live with :D

19. LMAO! You know what they say about men with big hands...

They need a wider string spacing... :D

20. I thought it meant big feet.... which means big P****s

Thats right! Big Pedals!