1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sire Bass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dinodino, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Bright Metallic Red/ Ash

14 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. Bright Metallic Red/ Alder

26 vote(s)
    3.0%
  3. Natural/ Ash

139 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. Sunburst/ Ash

86 vote(s)
    9.8%
  5. Sunburst/ Alder

141 vote(s)
    16.1%
  6. White/ Ash

71 vote(s)
    8.1%
  7. White/ Alder

101 vote(s)
    11.5%
  8. Black/ Alder

92 vote(s)
    10.5%
  9. M3

25 vote(s)
    2.8%
  10. M7

70 vote(s)
    8.0%
  11. I'm a heretic - I don't own one yet, but I'll see the light soon enough!

204 vote(s)
    23.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jmjames

jmjames

Dec 15, 2017
    If there are any alder 5 string sunburst P7's out there for sale, please let me know. :) Was going to order generation 2, they are sold out of sunburst and don't want a second black P7. :D I saw one in the for sale here, person wanted to do an in-person sale, though. :(

J.Ja

2. Maks Lu

Maks Lu

Mar 22, 2012
    I forgot to specify that 5 strings, thanks!

3. fabinosto

fabinosto

Aug 29, 2010
    France
    Hi

a clip with my V7 Vintage :

photo 1.JPG

Direct in soundcard

Preamp :

photo.JPG

bholder likes this.
  4. lossfizzle

lossfizzle

Jul 8, 2013
    Was hoping somebody here would speak to this... I've continued to have some tuning stability issues with the bass. Not, again, *terrible*... but enough to make the bass a PITA on stage for this particular OCD individual.

While I could start replacing hardware to chase this issue down, I'm also far less than pleased with the B string and the bass is *much* quicker to produce back strain for me than my other 5s despite not being what I would consider crazy / T-40 heavy. Not really sure what that's about. It is a nice looking bass for sure; I'm sad I'm going to have to send it back.

5. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Sad it has to go back, but if it's not cutting it for you, it's not cutting it for you. I'd maybe look a little higher in the Sire line?

For a tight B, good-hardware, low-back-strain bass, I'd suggest the Sire M7. It's up a step price-wise from a V3, for sure-- maybe an M3 might be a good choice (I haven't played one but seem similar, just fewer bells and whistles, to M7). M3 also has maple board option which M7 doesn't.

M7 has 35" scale, but which is hardly even noticeable due to body size and shape and, I guess, magic; gives the B a nice, tight, smoothness. Less floppy than a V7 B.

It's sub-nine pounds, very comfortable; it'd be good for a back-issue person IMO. Has a nice bridge, and, as far as I've experienced, good tuners, though they do get turned a bit in the bag (very smooth turning pegs, maybe that's the tuning issue you reference?). I tune before every gig anyway naturally, so it's a non-issue. Stays in tune when played.

Anyway, I hadn't had it out in a while, so I gigged the M7 this past weekend. I'd forgotten how nice it is. While there's a lot of factors besides the bass itself, I thought the M7 sounded better, that night, than the Sadowsky Metro I'd brought and played first set. The M7 seemed to agree with the (borrowed) Quilter quite well.

upload_2018-11-15_10-48-28.

FunWithBass and bholder like this.
  6. lossfizzle

lossfizzle

Jul 8, 2013
    I'm not normally a back-issue person (I mean I am getting older and all), which is why the V3-hurts-sometimes situation is kinda weird. Unfortunately I also really prefer a somewhat more vintage/traditional look and definitely have an objection to overly skinny or pointy horns, so the M line simply doesn't work for me aesthetically. :( They do of course look very nicely outfitted and I've heard great things about them.

I very nearly bought a V7 several times over the last few years, but the prices have rapidly increased to the point where I no longer think they make sense as a long-term value proposition, which is why I bought the V3. (The V7 5-strings were selling for barely more than current V3 pricing less than a year ago; def not the case now!) Although I do see a lot of really happy Sire owners with basses now turning three years old or so, there are just enough question marks re: longevity / durability / QC that I'm a little leery to buy in at much over five-ish bills. So unfortunately it looks like Sire and I are done for now. :(

I really want one of those Quilter BB800s though!!! :)

Plutonium244 likes this.
  7. Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Well, I understand your thinking. The M7 was nearly $800 so that's edging out of "value-entry" range. I have this M7, a V7 four-string(alder/rosewood), and a V7 five string (ash/maple), and like them all.

I did have to replace the pre-amp on the V7 five string-- the only one of the three I bought used -- but Sire was very fast getting me a free replacement even though I was not technically under their warranty. I also replaced knobs on both V7's. But other than the pre-, I have had zero issues. I do think they improved the design and reliability of the pre-amp after the first go-round, mine was from the first run. I am slightly tempted (no, not really, 15 basses is enough) to try an M2, b/c I like maple boards.

The Quilter was interesting, it has a rather different EQ/control set-up than normal, and the "master" is the selector for wattage. I have enough amps, but I was favorably impressed with what little time I had on it.

lossfizzle and Andyman001 like this.
  8. VicPang

VicPang

Jan 3, 2015
    I have a V7 4 string and love it. I am considering getting either an M7 or M2 (5 string). Love to have some help to decide. Does anybody own both? If you ignore the coil tab on the M7 (which I don't need since I have the V7), which one do you enjoy playing more?

9. Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    So, the 2nd Gen Sires must be hitting the market (M2's for sure, looks like late November for most models?)

Anyone here have a 2nd Gen Sire yet? What's the lowdown?

Are the changes improvements, or just changes?

We know why they are going with ebony boards (rosewood unavailable), so its not so much of an upgrade as an availability substitution. I'd rate that as a neutral change.

Rolled edges - seems like a plus/improvement

New pickups - are the "Revolution" pickups better, or just different?

Satin neck on V7 -- plus or minus depending on user. Slight plus for me but gloss necks don't bother me. Vintage is still gloss.

Larger 2.4 ("medium") frets on V7 -- makes little difference to me, what about you? Vintage still 2.0mm frets.

Flatter neck -9.5" radius instead of 7.5." probably a plus. Does Gen 2 vintage have this change too, or does it remain a vintage 7.5"?

I hear some other colors may be in the works, such as butterscotch or teal metallic. I wonder what colors, and when? A new color might stimulate my "need" for a new Gen 2 Sire, a vintage.

I also hear they will have a six-string bass within the next year.

Other thoughts - are the acoustic guitars not available in the US? Not on Sire USA website, just the Sire-Revolution (international site). I might consider one of those. Would have to play one first, and Chicago Music Exchange (nearest retailer to me) doesn't have 'em (just basses).

EDIT: Hints on the Sire USA Facebook page that the acoustics will be available in the US in December.

Carry on, Sire people.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    lowdownthump likes this.
  10. bassdudepat

bassdudepat Bringer of the Brown Note Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Doubt it, I’ve been replacing knobs, changing electronics and doing setups since the mid 80’s. I’ve never broken a single pot. The fact that all the pots on this bass had issues tells me that it wasn’t user error but manufacturer error. Seriously, 30 plus years of never damaging a pot and then 5 on the same bass? Please. AND to top it all off, sire returned my email offering to sell me a new preamp but that it will have the knobs on it and that I’m not supposed to change them out. First, I love everything else about the bass but your knobs are cheap sh!t that you should stand behind or redesign. Second, not supposed to customize my instrument? Marcus Miller should have some words for them about this. That’s horrible customer service.

Barticus likes this.
  11. Barticus

Barticus Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2017
    NEOhio
    I’ve had 2nd thoughts about replacing my knobs since the pressed on knobs are VERY tight AND after reading your post(s) as mine were not popping off easily either.

I’ve also been working on my instruments and building since the 80s as well and have not encountered this yet, even with all of the Les Paul’s (pressed on knobs) I’ve worked on, I haven’t had the knobs this tight before. I have always used the ‘piece of leather pull’ process in the past, but these top knobs almost seem like there is adhesive involved :)

I’ll try again this evening and let you know how I fare, or maybe via PM, as I don’t need the judgement of others this week :) LOL

bassdudepat likes this.
  12. RNG1

RNG1 Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Question regarding all this as I’m considering a Sire to have a reasonable cost 5 string to have around: if knobs are not changed and left alone have people found pots/preamp to be an inherent problem? I’ve heard about a couple of preamps needing replacement but is this like a viral thing? Thanks guys.

13. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I've now owned 5 Sire basses. The only issue I had was that 2 of my Tuners were defective, and Sire sent me replacements no charge. I changed the knobs on all of my Sires. I did make a mistake on one, and forgot to loosen the set screw. I ended up pulling out that POT, and needed to buy a replacement preamp from Sire.

Great basses!

bassdudepat likes this.
  14. Tom Magri

Tom Magri Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I have a Sire V7 and P7. Zero problem with pots or preamp. However, I have no issues with the knobs. The stocks are just fine w me.

15. Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I think the very first ones in 2015(?) had some inherent vulnerabilities with the preamp design. I had one (bought used so can't for sure blame Sire) that needed a new pre-. The replacement was the newer type and I've had no issues. Not that they're bad, but I am not a fan of the knobs on the V7... I don't generally like those old Fender-style tophat knobs. I replaced the knobs on both V7's (black Sadowsky-style knobs for a sunburst 4-string and chrome for a natural finish 5-string) without incident, but as with all split-shaft pots, it's advisable to but a piece of matchbook cover or wood match between the two side to prevent any movement.

The battery compartment door has been improved, the first, plastic-door ones could break off. I had that happen on one, quick free rplacement. But the Gen 2 Sires use a recessed wood plate instead, which is much better. I have not had any other issues with my 3 Sires. One good thing about Sire is that, in the first run, they made a few mistakes that they learned from. In a community like this, this you're bound to hear various tales about problems with any product, since no matter who you are, it happens. The initial design issues were quickly dealt with, so I wouldn't expect any more issues with Sires from here on out than in the general population of bass builders at large.

I expect the new Gen 2's (which start shipping in a few weeks) will be even more refined; they listen to their customers. Rolled edges and upgraded pickups are among the changes. I'd like to try a Gen 2 myself.

lowdownthump likes this.
  16. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Jakarta, ID
    Just found the Haussel BM (Big Magnet) PU for J bass. Just curious about how they sound with one pole per string. Is it make sound like MM? I'm interested with the looks because it's different. Anyone experience the PU? I'm asking because can't found the thread about this PU nor the soundclip on YouTube. It'll look nice on the V7, I think

17. RNG1

RNG1 Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Thanks for the replies, appreciate you guys taking the time. Taking the plunge on the V9 listed on this site.

Brynjar Pihl and Plutonium244 like this.
  18. jmjames

jmjames

Dec 15, 2017
    If I want to get a set of La Bella strings for a P7 5 string, do I get the Standard/Long set, or the Extra Long set? The La Bella site is playing coy and doesn't want to talk scale length, wants "ball to nut" length and I don't have the bass in my hands yet. Anyone know?

Thanks!

J.Ja

19. bassdudepat

bassdudepat Bringer of the Brown Note Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Depends on if you want to run them through the body or through the bridge.

jmjames and bholder like this.
  20. jmjames

jmjames

Dec 15, 2017
    I would prefer through the bridge but they explicitly state to not use those sets for through the bridge, they have a different set for that but I don't see a part number for the 760M series to do through the bridge. I would assume it would be something like 760M-B-TB but they don't have that. And I can't find information in their site examining what the TB version does differently.

I'd you know for either one that would be awesome, or if you can point me in the right direction!

J.Ja