1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Sire V7 2nd Gen 2019 quality issues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vgru, Oct 2, 2019.

1. vgru

vgru

Sep 24, 2019
    Anyone experiencing quality issues with newer batches of Sires, or did I just have a case of bad luck?

I just got a V7 5-stringer, and the first thing I noticed was the crazy buzz fret with open strings and on the lower frets, usually an indication of a tight truss rod. I noticed many reviews praising its good setup "out of the box", but anyway I went on to loosen the rod.

The A string still continued to buzz when pulled just a bit harder, although the spacing measured by holding the string down between 1st and 20th frets is noticeable, so the next thing I wanted to do is raise the action a bit.

And then the most ridiculous thing happened: the bloody input jack just stopped working! After several rounds of plugging/unplugging the cable, there is no contact (the cable works on the other bass I have).

So since it's new I have three options:
    1. get my money back,
    2. get a replacement V7,
    3. get something else (probably a MIM Fender Standard Jazz would be in this price range).

Should I consider this was a one-time mishap, or should a MIM Fender be a safer bet?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    One-time mishap, contact Sire (or Thomann, if that's the case), they'll make it right. Sounds like a lemon slipped through QC. :(

3. Kallen

Kallen

Jul 22, 2019
    Sounds like bad luck. I would get a replacement instead of getting a MIM Fender if I were you.

80jazz, vgru and tindrum like this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Return and you will probably get a sweet Sire to replace it.

5. Peltor

Peltor

Sep 15, 2019
    Norway
    I have a Vv7 (fretless, 1st gen) a P7 (1st gen) and a M7 (2nd gen).

I wanted to get a V7 (2nd gen) just because, and ordered one not too long ago. Mine also had a terrible fret buzz with the D-string open. The reason was that the nut was filed down too much, I recon that the same thing happened to your bass. You can not fix that by tweaking it, and I suspect that there is this one guy at the factory in Indonesia that get this wrong. As I have some other Sire basses to compare with it is obvious to see with bare eyes that the nut was filed down too much.

I sent mine back the day after I got it and got my money back. If I were you I'd go for another Sire bass.

lowdownthump, vgru and tindrum like this.
  6. vgru

vgru

Sep 24, 2019
    Cool, thanks, I actually already contacted the store and now I am waiting for the replacement. I am hoping to get it next week, hopefully without these issues! Apart from the buzz, the sound and playability are otherwise great!

Kallen, Peltor and lowdownthump like this.
  7. Stu be do

Stu be do

Nov 26, 2019
    Just reporting another case of the same thing here. Sire Marcus Miller V7, 2nd Gen - issue with the nut causing bad buzzing on open string (in my case the E).

Have contacted the supplier (Thomann) for a replacement. Otherwise a pretty lovely bass. Hopefully the replacement will not have this issue...

8. Man, have times changed...
    When I ran into a nut that was cut too deeply and caused some string buzz, I’d cut a tiny piece of paper and stick it in the string groove with a dab of crazy glue. If it was too much, gently file it down until it’s right.
    These days you get a whole new bass...awesome!

vgru likes this.
  9. Stu be do

Stu be do

Nov 26, 2019
    I agree, times have changed... for better or worse, mail order is quite common now and you can't inspect the product before purchasing it. I'm sure none of us would buy and walk out a shop with a new bass that had a non-trivial issue like that. But I don't think you can expect someone to pay for a bass, then accept something that doesn't work, right? That seems odd...

Of course, if an older bass developed a problem then I would repair it (or get it repaired professionally in my case)... each to their own though, as long as we are all happy.

10. Brian Whitehead

Brian Whitehead

Aug 26, 2020
    Sadly I just purchased a v7 2nd gen directly from sire-usa.com and received it. After unboxing and setup I was immediately bothered by the crazy amount of fret buzz. I adjusted the neck and waited a day. It didn’t help. Using a fret rocker shows several high frets. Also a neck straight edge shows a gap on the first fret only, indicating a backward bend at the just that area. The truss rod had very little adjustment and only a little loosing felt like it was at the end of the threads. Sadly disappointed.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 20, 2021