1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sire V7 Preamp Cracked Pot

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gard0300, Jan 2, 2017.

1. gard0300

gard0300

Jan 10, 2011
    Vandalia, Ohio
    Does anyone know if you can replace just the pot? I cracked one. The Vol - Tone to be exact. I can't find any brand name. I'm assuming its proprietorary. It may be easier to replace the preamp as a whole. Assuming Sire sells them separately. Any experience out there?

Attached Files:

2. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    It looks proprietary, one section is audio taper, the other section is linear taper. I would call Sire first.

bholder likes this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Contact Sire. I think they're more likely to just send you a replacement for free rather than sell you one. Others on here have gotten broken pots and other parts replaced essentially for free, but if there is a service charge, I'd expect it to be reasonable. You can get custom pots made to almost any spec, but that's expensive, Sire buys them in bulk.

4. gard0300

gard0300

Jan 10, 2011
    Vandalia, Ohio
    They called me back. $75.00 for a replacement.

5. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    That's the way I had to go. Just put mine in this past weekend. Good as new.

orik likes this.
  6. Hi,
    What the pots value? 100k, 250k, 10k...?

7. orik

orik

Nov 21, 2017
    Was it a replacement for the pot or the whole preamp?

8. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Does it still work? Wrap some vinyl tape around it, have it blessed, and call it good.

9. jay1000

jay1000

Mar 23, 2018
    Wales , UK
    can these pots not just be de-soldered from the board and replaced ?

10. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Yes but because it’s linear/audio stacked, it’s custom and you will have a hard time buying just one unit.

jay1000 likes this.
  11. Mstislav

Mstislav

Aug 12, 2019
    Madrid
    Did you find any solution to the problem? the same thing happened to me ... I have broken the tone / volume potentiometer.

12. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Sire is really good about helping customers...if you're orig owner, they may send you one for free. Worst case $75 for whole new preamp. I've bought preamps from them to install on non Sire basses, they sound great.