1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Sire vs Schecter

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spectorized, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Spectorized

Spectorized

Jan 29, 2012
    I am going to buy a bass soon and i am on a budget. I have two basses i am trying to decide on. The Sire M2 or the Schecter Stiletto Extreme. I have heard really good things about Sire but no one in town has any for me to demo. Just looking for some advice here.

2. Es-La-Una

Es-La-Una

Oct 27, 2016
    According to the map in this link, there aren’t very many Sire dealers in the U.S.: Sire US Dealers – Sire Webstore-USA

If you want to try out a Sire, you’re going to have to make a trip to one of the listed cities that have a Sire dealer. Call the store before you go, of course, to make sure they have one in stock that you can play. I’ve never seen a Sire before but I notice there’s one store in my city that’s a Sire dealer.

3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I owned a Schecter Stiletto Deluxe (no longer being made from my understanding, now the Extreme is on the low end of the totem pole- however both deluxe and extreme were identical, just aesthetic differences). I've owned a few other Schecter basses including the Schecter Stiletto Elite - Nice basses for sure for the money. The Extreme (I did try However, much like you, I've heard so many good things being said about Sire too..so much so I bought one today. A Sire V3. Going on a leap of faith here, but everything I've seen, read and heard about Sire basses make it a risk worth taking. I guess i"ll find out for myself soon enough. No music store anywhere near me has one, so we'll see.
    However, here's a few main things to consider....the Sire M2 has a 3 band EQ, and an active/passive switch. The Extreme is 2 band EQ, no such switch - when I owned my Stiletto basses (Deluxe and Elite), my main beef with them was the 2 band EQ, and need for more mid control- you get that with the Sire.

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You're set on one of those two?

5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

This could have been a great poll.

Schecter for sure.

However, I think a pre-owned Ibanez will get you more bang for your buck.

Spectorized and jd56hawk like this.
  6. Spectorized

Spectorized

Jan 29, 2012
    No but from what i have heard , these are both great budget basses. I would definitely consider others if recommended.

7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    If you go with a passive bass you can't get much better for $550 or so than the G&L SB-2.
    If you have to have an active bass you might consider the Ibanez Talman series…$300 for the regular active models, $550 for the TMB 600, active with a switch for going passive.
    2f0642e.jpg
    2djyzxs.jpg
    2qdv58j.jpg

bholder likes this.
  8. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    I should get commission from Sire, but for me, my V7 is one of the best bass ever. It can compete with my MIJ Fender from built quality. But one thing for sure, don't expect too much, because an issue might be pop up. And for me, it's a little truss rod issue, but it easy to fix

9. BeRad

BeRad

Mar 13, 2018
    Schechter are really good quality for the price. The passive EMGhz pickups get lost in a band quite easily though.

10. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Anyone in central NY state or NE PA that wants to try a Sire or 2 or 5 can message me. ;)

generalduncan likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021