1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Six string newbie

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sifi76, Jun 24, 2014.

1. sifi76

sifi76

Mar 14, 2007
    New Zealand
    Hey folks, I'm thinking about moving to my first six string, but need some advice etc.. I've been playing 4 n 5's off and on for donkey's but I have now got my eyes on a gould or moddy 6 for the extra range and chordal options. I've had a go a while back on a warwick streamer 6'er in a store and managed to adjust ok, simply using ear and feel. But Is it worth stepping up to that extra c? And, given my primary instruments are 4's, is adjustment overall a big issue? The only fear I have is of accidentally landing the wrong string on stage, but I feel given how many full chords, fifths and thirds I pull on even standard material, experimentation with middle eastern modes and scales that generally have me moving into the guitar range, and my preference for playing vertically up and down the neck, that I'm generally heading in the six direction anyway... but as always advice helps, especially when it comes to the adjustment issue.. though I feel most of it will be 'lock yourself in the room with your bass for six months.. then gig' :D

ok fire away

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  2. Anti Manifesto

Anti Manifesto

Dec 17, 2008
    Do a barrel roll!

3. mrfyzv

mrfyzv

Jun 15, 2014
    Uzbekistan
    LOL

4. sifi76

sifi76

Mar 14, 2007
    New Zealand
    I would but that stupid slippy toad is in the way again :meh:

gebass6 likes this.
  5. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Going from 4 to 5 was the weirdest, with multiple occasions of being on the B instead of the E. Going from 5 to 6 was easy comparatively, it just felt like more support against my palm, and reaching up to the C was more deliberate in general.

6. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    For me the transition to a 6 has been more problematic... It just feels uncomfortable to me. Maybe it is psycological. I donr do a lot of chording and I don't do a lot of melodic runs and such.. so it just feels like ovrrkill in my hands. Almost like wearing a tux to work.....For me a 5 is just more comfortable and more practical and at this stage I don't feel that I have the chops or the time to work up to it to fully benefit and utikize what a 6 has to offer. For me a 5 is still more bassic bass (pun intended). I get the feeling that when playing a 6 I should be doing more than I do.