1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slap&Pop issue while recording...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by WhoSeyes, Sep 18, 2008.

1. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    Hi everyone, I'm quite noob, so excuse me if my story and my question sounds silly...

I'm recording in two week time with my band in a semi-pro studio (we are not rich nor famous, but have friends) and there's this song were I play a fast riff that involves a bit of slapping the E string and popping the A&D strings, all between the first 4 frets.

I put my right hand just where the neck begins to play this part (and I move to my pickups in other parts of the song [I'm playing a Highway P Fender bass]).

The main problem that I have is fretnoise. Because of this part being maddly fast, me not being a pro and puting my right hand where the neck begins, fretnoise is quite annoying.

For those of you who have recorded, is this a problem? Will the fretnoise be recorded as well? If it will, I've thought of slapping on the pickups (and not that near to the neck), where the fretnoise is minimized.

Thank you in advance for your response!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    So you're trying to get fretnoise but you're worried about it? ;)

Don't. Bass is kind of a noisy instrument, and what you're doing makes noise, so it'll get picked up. Not a big deal in a mix. If you slap over the pickup, though, you're going to bang the strings into the pickup, which makes an even worse noise. So just do what you're doing and you'll probably be fine.

3. Joel S.

Joel S. Reserved for future witty use...

Jul 9, 2008
    What the dude with the James Brown in Devo hat avatar (Whip it! heh! To the bridge!) said. In the mix you won't notice it.

Also, you have 2 weeks, practice the line SLOWLY so you can clean it up.

4. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    OK, I had that in mind too: in this two weeks I won't stop practicing those lines (well, and the other songs too).

Thanks for the answers.

You know, as it is our first recording and we have a certain number of hours to achieve it (non extendable), I'm quite mad about it and I can't stop thinking that "somethin's gona go wrong" hehe.

I guess you have more experience than I in recording (and maybe you record at your homestudio too).

5. Joel S.

Joel S. Reserved for future witty use...

Jul 9, 2008
    Approach it like a gig, after the first take or two you should be able to relax.

And something WILL go wrong, only thing is when recording you can probably punch in a fix.