1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

slowfinger by handle, slowfinger by nature.

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by slowfinger, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Lifted and edited from my intro on 'Low Down Lowdown'
    I suppose I should introduce myself.

I am a rock n roll tragic who somehow or other was never in the right place to get involved in making music when I was a kid. But still, every so often the thought came to me – what would have happened if I had played in a band when I was younger. After many years of playing acoustic guitar (badly – still can’t do barre chords reliably) to myself, the opportunity came to me last year when I found out about the Weekend Warriors program, went along to the jam and picked up a bass (a black Fender Precision) for the first time. I signed up, the band I was put into is a great bunch of like minded tragics who get along really well, and I have been playing for about 3 months now. As I said in my first post, now I'm having just about as much fun as you can have standing up, playing in a rock band for the first time. I've got a L O N G way to go, but hey, I'm only 62.

Since I do not own a bass, the rhythm git asked his mate who had and old bass in the cupboard if I could have a lend, so I play what seems to be a cheap 70’s copy of a Fender Jazz
    (see http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/5/t/013573/p/1.html#000000).
    When I get some spare cash I'll go shopping for a good entry level bass - quite like the ESP LTD at the mo - has more life than a Squier imho. I bought myself a Crate BT50 amp for my 62nd birthday recently.

I call myself ‘slowfinger’ for obvious reasons – firstly because I have trouble playing 8 to the bar reliably, and usually play only the root at 4 to the bar. However, I have a good beginners book and access to a great git (and bass) teacher here at school, and am developing dexterity and a few bass cliches, and secondly as a reference to EC.