1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

slug/snail repellent adhesive copper tape shielding :)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Pimmsley, Mar 12, 2013.

1. So I was buying stuff at the local DIY home improvement store (in Melbourne Australia) when I happened upon this product in the pesticide aisle... I've been planning on shielding two newish basses that have passive single coil pups (jazz and a CV 50's P)

It's just over an inch wide and 4 meters long for $6.90 AU

The adhesive is amazing, non-conductive but you can solder to it very easily...

It went down a treat, and little overlaps produced a perfect contact that tested 100%... very impressed.

Does anyone else use this type of product to shield their basses ?

Attached Files:

2. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    I'm not sure if Ill be able to find that here.....I mean our snails are like the size of a marble. Aren't they about the size of a softball in Australia? :bag:

I'll see if I can find it around here. I've been wanting to shield my jazz as well.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

No I don't use that exact product but I do use copper foil tape.

Geroi, you can source it locally from stained glass supply shops. It is used in making stained glass pieces. It costs me about $8 for a 8x11" sheet.

4. well, not really... lol... toads yes :D

hope there is something for you, so cheap, probably half the price in the U.S. if there is something equivalent.

Here are the cavity shots, forgot to take one of the CV's pup cavity shielding I did...

5. That stuff is exactly what I use! Way, WAY cheaper than the purpose-built stuff, and I can get it at any local nursery. Good find!

6. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    One big disadvantage of this shielding!

Afterwards you play MUCH too SLOW ... :D

Haven't ever seen this in Germany.
    Maybe because everyone in Germany uses beer-traps against snails?! A small cup of beer put into the earth.

Beer won't help you to solve the humming.
    But enough beer (in you - not the bass) solves the problem because you don't mind anymore ... :D

7. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    This is a shameful waste of perfectly good beer.

An added benefit to this product when used to sheild your bass is the substantially reduced likelyhood that your bass will be ravaged by slugs.:smug:

8. unfortunately it doesn't keep annoying bar owners, slightly flat singers and sharp horn players away either...
    :bawl:

9. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    Pimmsley nice work and a nice find and quality work on the install

10. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Try using the tape to mark out a small area on stage and stand inside of it. They won't cross the tape.*

*For bar owners, you might need two layers of tape.

11. Thanks pg ! I'm very happy with it, the adhesive is strong but also allows a little adjustment if you need to peel it back up and re-apply, perfect width for the job and solder took to it straight away...
    I didn't trust the factory black conductive paint that was in there as it didn't really test up as conductive on my meter ?!?
    I did notice a lot less noise (buzz,hum) after I did the pickup cavity in the CV 50's P, so a worthwhile exercise and cheap.
    :D

12. ROFLMAO ! nice... voodoo magic man !

13. And it also keeps the snails away from your pickups. WIN!

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I use aluminum tape. Works well. Didn't know about this stuff...might try it, though, since the only aluminum tape I can find anymore is this plastic looking stuff.

15. Great score ! Need more basses to shield ! That was fun...

16. Plus if you need to solder to it, no problemo ;) garden supply shop maybe ?

17. TWISTEDSTRINGS

TWISTEDSTRINGS

Oct 13, 2012
    Recently bought the 2" x 180" roll from Stewmac for $20, shielded my Fender Amer Dlx J5(used maybe 4 feet and I shielded every sq. inch(had less then 2" of waist)) and have enough left over for at least 2 more basses. Still a great find when you want to do it NOW and not wait for shipping. Do we even have to worry about snails in the states , not in NYC ? wonder if we have it here ?

18. Impatience was a major selling point ;)
    The stewmac roll sounds like a good deal. Maybe the Hamptons ? I hear the tomatoes are huge... Lol.

19. I did another bass today, never had any noise issues with it but it's just so much fun... ;)

Vantage VS600B cavity in case anyone wants to know. Just before I put the jack socket back in, it's hanging out of frame.

20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

You say it's not conductive. If it is indeed the case, it doesn't provide any kind of shielding.