1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

small combos w/ switchable voltage?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bribass, Mar 15, 2010.

1. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    Anyone know of any small combos for good for DB that have switchable voltage?

2. RD

RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    The Genz Benz shuttle 6.0 12T has a 115V/230V switch on it. I've read that it is seeing use by some who double on EB and DB. I've no direct experience though.
    Good luck with it.
    RD

3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Bribass,
    Walter's amps have a switch on the rear of the amp to do just that so they can be used in Europe without a "step down transformer". The EA Doubler and Micro can be configured via internal jumpers to change the voltages ( I remember Mike Arnopol mentioning this when he was on tour with the prototype). The Eden WTX 264 and 500 apparently switch automatically. Those are the ones I know about.

Ric

P.S. I just checked the Acoustic Image website. Their heads apparently also switch to European power using an external switch on the back of the amp. Your profile
    looks like you already own two amps that have switchable voltage, unless you are going to Japan.

4. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Yes, I have an old WW and a AI Focus, both w/ this capability.

I need a very portable amp for a tour in Pacific Asia as a back up in case there is no backline avail. for we'll be doing workshops/maser classes as well as concerts.

I have a Wizzy 10 that I could take w/ the AI, but I'd like to explore the possibilities of bringing a less valuable combo rig that is still very portable, hopefully 26 lbs. or less, w/ switchable voltage so I don't have to worry about a "step down transformer" or getting the amp fried. Keep the suggestions coming. THNX, Bri

5. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

Bribass,
    I looked at the manual for the GK MBS/MBE and it looks like they will operate on a variety of different voltages. You should probably call or email GK but here's what the manual says.

Power Requirements:
    U.S.A./Canada 120V/60Hz
    325W(full power), 54W(average power)
    UK/Australia 240V/50Hz
    Europe 230V/50Hz
    Japan 100V/50Hz
    Korea 220V/50Hz

Ric

6. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    ..hmm, THNX Ric! That's interesting. I have a real old Gallien-Krueger MB-150S w/ an input problem that's been a boat anchor in the garage for years. Maybe if I could get it fixed properly that could be a practical option.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Phil Jones Flightcase BG-150 will operate on voltages ranging from 100v to 240v, and the BG-300 is switchable between 120v and 240v.

8. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Looks like the new Bass Cub is 100v to 240v as well. Anyone try the Cub yet? Could it possibly be enough even w/ even a quiet drummer?

Bri

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020