1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So how hard is it to build a PC

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by theshadow2001, Mar 9, 2008.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    This isn't something I'll get into straight away but something I might do to pass the time in the future.

So from not knowing much about the real intricacies of the technology. To getting a much better grasp of it and then building a working PC including setting up the operating system and other software setups.

I can't imagine that the actual build part is that difficult. I'm thinking that getting parts that work together and then all the OS setup after you've built the thing is where the real trouble lies.

Is it possible to make a high quality PC right on the first attempt....let me rephrase that: Is it feasible to get a high quality working PC on your first attempt.

Is it better to start out modding your current PC or just go the whole hog and dive head first into building a new one. To be honest I would feel more comfortable ****ing up a new PC I was building from scratch than my current one.

I'm a final year Automation student so I'm not completely retarded when it comes to these things.

2. I made my current PC 3-4 years back. Was pretty well spec'd back in the day.

It isnt hard, its really easy :)

As long as you make sure you do everything, then you will be fine, and the OS install isnt hard either. (Well, i only know about windows).

3. Yup, not hard. It's the "working-out-the-kinks-and-getting-it-running-right" part that you'll spend the most time on. That's the most useful knowledge to be gained. Very rewarding when ya get right. Anymore, though, they(PC's) are so cheap......I wouldn't bother, myself. It's the basses I build that really get me going. It really is an addicting hobby(but I can quit anytime!).
    Josh

4. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Not difficult. But unless you are building a very high end gamer or something similar, it's probably easier to buy a $399 or $499 Dell. We use them at the office & for general purposes they work fine.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I've not done it myself, though it's one of those projects that I've always thought would be fun to do. There are a lot of great forums and websites on the topic. Do some thorough web research before you jump in and it will help a lot.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    If I were to do it. It would definitely be very high spec. I would have no time for cheap machines from dell or anyone. My current computer is off the shelf and fairly high spec. I prefer programs to work first time work fast and not have the computer slowing down for this reason or that. I think it's worth spending the extra money on higher spec for that kind of ability from a machine. I have no time for slow machines.

Plus the higher the spec the longer its useful life should be.

I would prefer to use various books as guides over the internet as a source of information and supplement those with the various computer forums. The only thing is that technology moves so fast that it might be hard to find a relevant book.

7. I doubt you'll find many useful books, as you said, technology is moving faster than books could be published.

Is there a specific CPU you want? Thats usually a good place to start.

Then find a motherboard that is socketed and works with the CPU you are looking at + has any other features you want.

The look at the RAM you want to add, choosing the type which would work best with your CPU and is socketed to fit your motherboard.

Everything from there out is pretty cross compatable (SATA harddrives, PCI-E gfx cards etc).

8. squidmaster

squidmaster

Feb 1, 2008
    the hardest part (for me anyhow) is the research, because this is the biggest advantage over buying a 399 pc. you can be sure that every part is what you want, and is dependable. One word of advice: be sure not to buy cheapass motherboard and power supply, from my experience the money you 'save' isnt worth the problems down the road. good luck

9. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I have no specifics in mind. In fact it's unlikely ill start this any time soon. It's just something I would like to do. Along with getting into some audio electronics. Unfortunatley having no income and quite an adequate PC already I don't have much motivation to do it. I'm just interested in discussing the idea with those who have already done it and their experiences with it. did you know much about computers before you started your own build?

10. While the motherboard i have isnt the cheapest, it isnt exactly expensive and has worked fine.

However, I have to agree, dont skimp on the PSU. Its one of these things people will easily overlook. I used the PSU that came with my PC case (chieftec case, but didnt come with a chieftec PSU). About a year down the line i started getting fragmented displays and random shut downs.

Took out my graphics card first (Hercules 9800 Pro, when they were new, they were pretty damned good!), thankfully managed to get it replaced under warranty. One of my RAM chips also went south. Then the PC just wouldnt turn on. Got a loan of a friends PSU, and it worked a treat.

Im quite fond of the blue glow i get from the Akasa supply thats in there now :)

11. Fairly nough. There are some (should be) excellent processors using the new intel design architecture coming out later this year :)

I didnt know much at all about computers when I started. Just read up, knew roughtly what specs I was looking for and went from there :)

12. Sounds like you want a mac. The easiest part is actually the OS install. Usually all you have to do it stick in the cd, select how you want the HD partitioned, and click install and your computer does all the other work. Make sure you use quality stuff, I just had a HD go south, it was a good one as well.

lowsound

13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    No macs wouldn't interest me. Im familiar with windows. I've come across random pieces of software that aren't suitable for macs but never the other way around. I'm also happy using XP never had an issue with it. I would also like to learn more about the system that is used pretty much everywhere you go

14. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    A PC is as good as the parts you put in it. The more you spend, the more you get. Physically putting it together, it's real simple if you just read up on it and what components are compatible with each other. Everything has it's place.

And everyone who says 'Get a Mac'... Man, that just shows how little you know. A Mac IS a PC. The only thing that separates a Mac from a PC is the operating system. All the internals, everything, is all based off the same logic. In fact, all Mac's use the Intel CPU's/chipsets now and have been for some time.

15. If I can build one, anyone can. I bought the case, liquid cooling system and then kept buying parts until it was ready to fire up. I had my comuputer guy do a few things to it but I would say that I did 95% of the work.

16. He said what he wanted it to do, something that macs so easily. That is why I said to get a mac. PC usually refers to a windows based machine and mac usually refers to a mac OSX based machine.

lowsound

17. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Also the whole get a mac thing as the solution to all of lifes problems is enough reverse psychology to not actually get one.

It's like the whole get a teacher answer on the double bass forums it really doesn't answer anything. If this thread goes too much down the mac versus pc road then I'll have it deleted its about building PC's

18. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Surely books about the operating system can be got to gain a deeper understanding. The OS can't change that much can it. Apart from between versions 98 xp vista etc

19. I would put quite a bit of money on that the code for the first version of XP and the last version of XP look a whole lot different. No idea what that translates to in a real world application though. Although you can find all the information that would be in a book online.

lowsound

20. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I'm sure your right about the code. Which is why I prefer to stay with an OS that works until its out dated. I'll stay with XP until retro compatibility issues force an upgrade to vista. Let some other bunch of suckers find the bugs for Microsoft. Ill wait till their fixed before moving up.

True as well about what you said about finding stuff on the net. However a book I think has more credibility as a source than the internet. They aren't as prone to misinformation and if you get the right one it can save you a lot of time because you have most of the information you need located at one source.

I've had this issue with my project in college where I'm using a lot of siemens equipment a lot of the info I need is available on the net but it took so long to find the relevant piece that I just forked out the €70 odd euros for one of their books. Now I have most of the information I need and the net has become a support structure for the book instead of an information source.