1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I bought a microphone today...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Gopherbassist, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    ...And I forgot to get an XLR cable to go with it. D'oh.

I've been looking at microphones for about a week now and today I bought an AKG condenser mic. When looking I'd mostly gotten to handle cheaper offerings, and saw that most had a cable included. I bought one in the $100 range, and didn't think about the fact that something a step above entry level probably assumes you've got a cable already or are willing to spend a little extra to get one.

So, since I'm not going to be going to any music shops in the next week or so, I figure I have time to get opinions on XLR cables. What brands do you guys recommend? What should I avoid?
    I'll mostly be recording vocals, if that makes a difference.

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Gopherbassist and guy n. cognito like this.
  3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Just about any major brand will do ... but steer clear of those unbranded bargain cables at GC.

Gopherbassist likes this.
  4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Just checking that you have phantom power on your interface also.

amphlett7 and Gopherbassist like this.
  5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Forgot to say, enjoy your new mic. A condenser is a nice way to go for vocals.

6. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    Yeah it does, I got a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen, it's got phantom power with a little backlit switch so you know when it's on.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  7. ofajen

ofajen

Apr 12, 2007
    92.4W 38.9N
    ProCo is a good choice. I happen to make mine with Gotham cable and Switchcraft plugs.

Otto

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Focusrite has 4 great free plugins this month for current customers. You have to jump through hoops to get them but they are well worth it.
    Plugin Collective | Focusrite

9. rudy4444

rudy4444

Mar 13, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Which AKG? If you're doing vocals you absolutely need a pop filter (both to eliminate plosives and protect the delicate element inside your mic from damage). A floating suspension mount is another necessity to isolate the mic body from noise transferred from the stand to the mic, especially if your mic is a large diaphragm condenser. If your mic is a small diaphragm like a AKG P-70 then the suspension mount isn't strictly necessary.

10. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Well if you already had some, it wouldn't have mattered (Hmm--then again I have two mics & two cables--I think I should get a spare...)

11. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    Yeah, I got all of those as well as the standard ones they offer. I'm having a hell of a time getting either of the DAWs that came with it to record. One I get nothing back on the monitor, the other is distorted and heavily artifacted. I think I need to fiddle with settings on my computer, or it's just not powerful enough.