Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

so im debating a new head...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Feb 15, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    and i have three im thinking about.

mesa boogie big block 750

ampeg svt 4 pro

or svt classic head

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

or... Click Me

Lower cost, great sounding, high watt alternative to your choices above. I HIGHLY recommend it!

3. Quadzilla

I think that some people have had some issues with the Mesa BB frying under a 2 ohm load. At least 2 or 3 heads here have fried because of this. It seems to fry in just a few minutes when running 2 ohms. I'd stear clear of those.

The SVT CLassic is one HHHHHEAVY head. Ever lift one of those? I did my first time last week. Unless Gov Schwartzenager is my roadie, forgetaboutit!

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah ive heard about those as well. i dont know yet. im really leaning towards the mesa.

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ive heard nothing but good stuff on the mesa heads, but now im a bit turned off.

also, i hear ampeg is like a glorified crate.

and yes, the classic heads are heavy like woah. i would also need a flight case for it so im sure i wont be getting it

6. Quadzilla

It sounds like you are after a high wattage (loud) head, that's farily warm (Mesa has a tube pre-amp, Classic, is well a classic and warm and gritty, can't say I've heard a SVT 4 Pro, but I assume that it sounds sort of like the classic?). Anyway, I really think that you'd like the head that I got considering what other choices you have noted. Plus, you will have some cash left over for other gear...

7. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I don't think the SVT4-Pro sounds remotely like the SVT-CL. The 4Pro is much cleaner and MUCH quieter...

8. Quadzilla

I never heard the SVT 4 Pro, so I was not sure...

9. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    The SVT-CL is a sweet amp. Heavy, but sweet. (Have you considered the rackmount version, the SVT-II?) True, most people prefer the vintage SVTs to the new ones, but the current one still kicks ass. Crate and the CL don't belong in the same sentence.

I don't have much experience with the SVT-4, but I've seen enough people use it live to know it can sound good.

If you're leaning towards the Mesa, give it a shot. I haven't played one, but I know there are some good reviews around here. I just read you profile and saw that you have an Ampeg 610. Since that's a 4-ohm cab, the stability of an amp at 2-ohms doesn't mean much, unless you're gonna get another 4-ohm cab somwhere in the future. One thing to note is that the BB puts out 750w at 2-ohms. The M-pulse 600 will put out more power through your cab than the 750.

All the amps you're looking at are good. Like always, you'll have to try them out to know what you want. ;)

10. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah the big block said 550 for 4ohms. which is more then the svt 3 pro that i have no at 450. im not sure though. i'm going to try some things out. as well as the m-pulse600

11. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    hmm.... I'm not sure 100Watts additional power will solve your woes with your volume needs. However... its possible that Mesa's heads are simply louder than Ampeg's. :eyebrow:

Again... you really dont have to even change your head. Your cab would probably love to have 800Watts flowing into it... and you could get that with an RMX850. And you'd always have the 3Pro power amp on hand, in case you ever wanted to add a bigger speaker into the mix. To me, that's pretty handy, because I've already used that... since I use a B2R as a preamp. I played outdoors, and I wanted to get as much low end as possible.... so I borrowed an extra 115 cab and powered it with the B2R. I really didnt need it. But your running a 610, which really wouldnt lay down the "umph" you need for an outdoor show (with no PA).

Just a thought. But if your sure you want another head, the Mesa probably wouldnt hurt you.... just avoid the 2ohm load. Also, I'm not sure the 610Hlf would handle the 4pro as well as you'd like it too.

12. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I wouldn't debate any heads if I were you. Sure you may make better logical points but any head will have the volume to just shout you down.

13. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Shawn, I just looked in your profile and saw that you use the 610hlf. I've got the same cab. I used the 4Pro (bridged)for about a week with this cab, and was very disappointed in the volume it produced. I then switched to an RBI and an RMX850, and was knocked out by how much more volume (and much better tone IMO) this rig made. This is through the same cab, against the same guitar amps(one full 5150 stack and one full marshall stack) with the same drummer.

And that's with 370 less watts...

14. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Word. go with the Power amp dude... its friggon cheap. :smug:

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Dunno how you're fixed for cash, but an Aguilar DB 750 might rule for you.

16. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    True.... but if we all had the money for one of those, then TB wouldnt be so active now, would it? ;)

17. asmith

asmith

Nov 19, 2004
    Seattle
    Try out all the stuff before you commit - if you can, bring whatever of your own stuff to the store, or get them to let you buy with a return policy or something, and try all of the stuff out that you can. Sometimes a certain combination will blow the walls clean off a place and surprise you. Example being that I tried my head on one 4x10 and I thought I blew a tube it was so bad, then tried another 4x10 and bought it immediately it was so good. Same brand too. Also be aware that the Ampeg heads are very responsive to the 'mid' setting and that can make all the difference in both volume response and tone. It can go from total mud to "turn the bass down I can't hear the drummer!" :D

18. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Just because three heads go under 2 ohms and they happen to get complained about on the net, doesn't mean that all the mesa heads can't handle that load. I know someone who runs a 2ohm load constantly on their BB 750 and have been doing so for around 6 months. They've had no problems what-so-ever.

2 cents.

19. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    well, i've been debating the whole power amp thing.

here is my deal. i have an 8 space rack. i have 2 spaces free'd up. if i'm going to put a power amp in the mix, it will take up those two space, but add a lot of weight to an already heavy rack.

i've also been debating a sans amp rack mount for awhile. and if i' going to go power amp and sand amp, im getting rid of the ampeg amp all together. then i would want something like 800 watts.

i dont know. i have to try some stuff out first. last night i tried out the bb and it sounded good. i was sold on the foot switch mute/overdrive. ]

ps,if i had the money for an aguilar, we wouldnt even be having this conversation.

20. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I didnt realize you were in a hardcore band till I checked out your band's site.... I checked out some of your songs on HXC. You've kinda got the Bane/With Honor sound.... hardcore with sort of a punk underbelly. I like that :smug:

Ok... so now I know that there's another aspect of your band that you have to compete with besides instruments, and that's the screaming of your frontman and whoever else does background.

I think you need to go all-out with something, dude. Its very seldom that I see a hardcore band with a 3-pro.... and when I do, the stage is usually lined with an 810. Personally, I think the 3-Pro sounds better than the 4-Pro, but the 4-Pro and the CL are practically FIXTURES amongst the mainstream hardcore scene, from the shows I've been too.

Personally, I like the sound that Every Time I Die gets. I've seen them 5 times. Their bassist usually has a 4-pro with a BDDI. Usually he's overdriven though, and it sounds like that might not be for you. Althought experimenting is fun :D

I still like the RMX850 for your rig. Yes its VERY friggon heavey. 38lbs or so. But like you said, you could slice out the 3pro if that was a problem. But.... I really think you need to go a step beyond a BigBlock head.

But I think the CL and an 810 would suit you perfectly too. It just might be too much money. But then again.... I see pictures here from Hellfest and The Continental. BIG, LOUD shows....