1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So, out of these basses.......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rayzak, Mar 19, 2009.

1. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY

2. jmattis

jmattis Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Washington DC
    He's totally gonna see this. My vote-

G&L L-2000. I've never played one of those Spector's though, and that could be a pretty cool bass. You'll probably get a lot of Lakland love too. G&L MFD pickups are just awesome though.

3. The Lakland is a wonderful instrument. I absolutely love mine. Wouldn't trade it for any of the others.

4. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Some Lakland love right here!

I had a 55-01 before being stupid and selling it and then going through about 6 other basses. To this day, it's really the only one I wish I had kept. I don't think there's anything in that price range that competes with the 44-01 and 55-01.

5. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    You are quite the awesome father.

Tribute L2000.

6. I wouldn't buy him a bass lol, instead I'd bring him to a GOOD music store, maybe a few and tell him to play everything and what feels right, get that.
    just my two cents.
    Peace
    :bassist:

7. id love to have one of those sr400's. amazing basses. you can never really go wrong with an ibanez, theres just so much variety. id say go with one of those. then again, ive got an ibanez sr400qm myself, so maybe im just biased :bag: . that l-2000 is a great playing bass too, though. but if you REALLY want to get him something he likes, give him a price range and take him to a few stores. spend a day letting him make the decision. after all, if youre going to spend that kind of money on a bass, it would be wise to make sure that both you AND him know hell be happy. go to the stores, give him time to play the basses in that price range that he thinks look interesting, then make the purchase

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

I still miss the 44-01 I sold to a friend, and IMHO there is no better 5-string for the money than a 55-01---outstanding neck, very upgradeable! That said, the G&L is nice, too.

Have you considered an MIM 60's classic Jazz? You can find them for less than $500. Sweet, and also very easy to upgrade pickups and bridge, nut, strings, etc. :D

9. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    ^^ being 16 i find my jazz bass[(Squier affinity jazz V) yes its a peace o ****] allot of fun especially compared to my Ibanez SR400

10. Jim Roseberry

Jim Roseberry

May 24, 2007
    I'd say that depends on the Jazz Bass.
    If your son likes the sound, feel, looks... it certainly won't be boring. You can't go wrong with a good Jazz.

You might also look at an Ibanez ATK.
    Similar to a MM Stingray/Sterling.
    4-string is ~$500
    5-string is ~$550

11. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Man, I wish a got a bas for my 16 birthday!

Im agreeing with the G&L.

12. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    G&L Tribute or that Bartolini-powered Lakie. Failing that, I'd second whatever people said on the Jazz bass - it'd be a perfect complement to the MIM P.

13. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Ditto...

14. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    Only letting him have 4 strings? :eyebrow:

15. phall2112

phall2112

Dec 31, 2008
    My vote is for a spector. They are diffirent in tone. and sound more like an active bass. Much more than more Geddy bass even though there both passive.

16. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    I wish my dad would buy me a bass. Gonna have to show him this thread.

I'd go G&L or Lakland, they're both the cream of the crop in that price range, IMO.

17. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    What? Are their more options? I could get him that one string-on-a-stick things that Les plays:p

18. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I was going to say that! ;)

19. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    I'm 16... can you adopt me please? I'll take the Lakeland :D

20. cheesemaster

cheesemaster Guest