1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So the bar "overpaid" us...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bass Man Dan, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Any time the amount paid is not what was agreed on we discuss it with the owner right away, that night, before leaving.

To this day it's always been a tip for doing a good job. Doesn't happen all the time but nice when it does. No reason to take it and run without settling it. It's hard enough to get gigs without taking someone's $$ after a mistake was made.

Downunderwonder and oldrocker like this.
  2. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    +1 to working it out with the bar.
    +1 on the guy should have communicated with the rest of the band what he was doing
    +1 on the money itself not being nearly as important as your reputation

OP's dialog indicates that perhaps the bartender is skimming form the bar and getting a kickback:
    "why is your drawer short?"
    "I tipped the band $100 - they were great last night!"

Tuesday he's $50 richer when the kickback is delivered

The bar owner needs to be aware of these transactions. Maybe it was legit, maybe not. If it was you need to have a talk with your money guy. His actions, as described here, were not cool. If it wasn't, you guys buy a boatload of integrity points from the venue and you don't let the money guy handle your money anymore.

kentiki likes this.
  3. As the previous poster said, your reputation is more important than the money. This is true in all aspects of life. Hopefully, it was intended as an extra tip to the band. If so, be proud as you guys beat the crap out of your band member for giving it to the bar staff. :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Bass Man Dan likes this.
  4. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    Too much missing from the OP to be sure, but me thinks the BL was closer to right than the OP. I have had both situations in my work life regarding overpayments. Sometimes it is a mistake and the payer is appreciative of the honesty. Sometimes it is a tip and the acknowledgement is appreciated by them also. In either case taking the situation to the table with the payer is ALWAYS a win for ALL involved.

Trying to figure out why the OP is so pissed over $10. The $50 tip placed by the BL may go a LONG way depending on the relationship with the venue. I once heard this quoteable - 'You can buy ALOT of cooperation with a box of donuts'. Maybe that applies here?

PotsdamBass8 likes this.
  5. PullThePlug

PullThePlug

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    Imagine being so petty that you trash your bandmate online over $20

Chango Malo and Mugre like this.
  6. Any tip would have been given with some kind of explanation, "Here, the bar had a great night." or, "You guys always bring a great crowd." Call me tool, call me boy scout, call me *** you want to but i would have checked to make sure it wasn't a mistake as well. If the singer is foolish, it's because when someone other than the regular payer handed him $100 seperately from the rest, he didn't say "what's this for?"

Mugre

7. zon5string

zon5string

Aug 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    So....as someone else said, I'd check with the owner (or whomever it is that paid you). Since the "Tuesday" person was not the same, they may have pocketed it just as easily...

Bass Man Dan likes this.
  8. It's a major bummer on what your singer did though...kind of bush league to do to the rest of you guys.

9. Dwight

Dwight

Apr 9, 2012
    Singer did the right thing. I can see why he didn't tell you guys beforehand.
    If you're hard up enough to take $25 bucks that may not belong to you maybe you need a better day job.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    obimark likes this.
  10. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I’m not saying it’s right, but maybe consider the singer didn’t tell you guys because he knew you wouldn’t even entertain the idea of bringing it back?

Allow me to speculate wildly...

Obviously we don’t know you, your band members, or the people at the bar, but that’s one scenario I’d be worried about. A lot of people here are saying that honesty and reputation are worth more than the money. If the singer honestly didn’t even think to tell you guys first, that’s one thing. But if he thought about it, and decided it would be too hard to convince you guys that that’s right thing to do, then that says a good deal about how he views you, as well as your relationship as a band.

BobKos likes this.
  11. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    I've been over-paid from what was agreed-upon a couple of times. I just say "Thank you" and that becomes the new going rate!

12. WardEarth

WardEarth Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    Don’t be too caught up on it. Maybe try and talk to him about it. At least your band mate has a conscience, maybe too much of one

13. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    To me it's about the long-term relationship with the bar. If I was given too much money compared to the contract rate, I'd mention it immediately to the payer to see if it was intentional. If they notice later they paid too much, and call you on it, it looks bad for the person who accepted the surplus and didn't mention it. You look like an untrustworthy opportunist that can hurt your relationship and reputation.

At the same time, if they short-pay me I'm the first one to stand up for what was agreed.

Agreements are everything when it comes to repeat bookings and mutual trust.

I don't think the band gets a say in what happens to the extra money if it was just a mistake. If it was intentional the owner overpayed, then how much I split, and what I tell the band depends if I got paid for that gig (band leaders sometimes work for free or a loss if there are good reasons for it). If I got a fair share, then I'd split it evenly among us. If I didn't get paid at all, and the overage puts me even with the other musicians I'd keep the whole overage.

mrcbass likes this.
  14. Bad that he didn't speak to you all about it first, good that he's helping keep an honest relationship with the venue, better that you still made some extra cash!

15. I woulda kept it, but nbd and he's probably got better ethics than me.

16. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Could be worse

17. If more people were like your band mate it'd be a better world.

I would have said something on the night as soon as I realised you'd been paid too much. It would have been as simple as "$100.... that's a nice tip, thank you". If they then said "oops, that's meant to be split with the bar staff" then you split it and all is good in the world.

You're acting like your bandmate gave away $100 per band member. Looking at it from your side the band is out $50 which is $10-15 each depending on how many in your band. If you play there again you might find the bar staff really like you for (your bandmember) being honest and you'll find a few free drinks and a feed on-the-house.

Finally, being a venue manager myself for over 20 years, it's the recommendation of the staff that gets a lot of bands rebooked. If they like you there's a good chance you'll get more gigs.

18. Pork_Chop

Pork_Chop

May 11, 2012
    Boulder, CO USA
    It's not rocket science. Call the bar manager and ask. If it is a mistake, return it. If it isn't, thank him.

BAG likes this.
  19. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I would of gave it back to cover my bar tab:woot:

BAG likes this.
  20. Gothguy

Gothguy Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2016
    Singer sounds like an honest guy. He should find a new band.