1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So the bar "overpaid" us...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bass Man Dan, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Gave us an extra hundred. Is it a tip? A mistake? Now what? I'll be back to tell you what our singer did after a bit...

Ductapeman likes this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It's likely a tip. Happens to us sometimes.

saabfender, strat59, RobertUI and 4 others like this.
  3. I'd say thanks, see you soon.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Could be a tip, a mistake, or just being nice.

Bass Man Dan likes this.
  5. Bass Man Dan

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    OK, no...this guy TAKES IT BACK to the bar, two days later without asking one damned one of us our feelings on it. They "split" it with him, then he tips them ... again, we are two days late, he forgot to tip them the night of the gig. And the gig was not that great anyway. Cool venue, but far from the other three guys.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  6. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Maybe the owner will realize and short you $100 next gig. Make sure you speak up and when he asks why you didn't speak up when it was $100 over, just cooly reply that you can overlook a mistake once, but not twice. :)

bkbirge, dtsamples, Bobro and 7 others like this.
  7. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Not likely a tip if they didn't mention it. In my band whoever books the gig handles the payout. If I was handling the payout I would alert the payer. I think all the other guys in my band would do the same.

8. Bass Man Dan

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    For the record, I fully believe it was a tip. He said someone gave it to him separately. And as anyone would figure, the person you dealt with Saturday night is likely not the same as the one you find on a Tuesday evening. He split our tip with the bar.

9. Lowend65

Lowend65

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    I would 100% call speak with the bar manager/booker and let them know this happened. Even if you end up giving back the $100, you'll have a gig-ally for life

MrBKerth, BOOG, zon5string and 2 others like this.
  10. 4 Strings Good

4 Strings Good

Mar 6, 2014
    In other words, the talented, nice and honest guy is a "tool" because he didn't want to take money that might have been paid accidentally, and you're pissed because you and your bandmates would have liked the opportunity to split the cash whether it was meant for you or not.

11. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    He’s not a tool. Tools are useful.

12. Bass Man Dan

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I feel like it was pretty obviously a tip. My "pissed"ness stems from him taking it back to the bar like an 8 year old cub scout and splitting our tip with them.
    I feel like if he had asked any one of us, we could have explained the concept to him.

Major_Rager_4MF likes this.
  13. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    So, you're out $50. Don't know how many are in your band, so I say 5 to make the math easy. Each of you might be out $10. Why are you letting this bother you so much?

14. Major_Rager_4MF

Major_Rager_4MF Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Almost certainly a tip. Bars are a tight business, they generally don't make mistakes like that. If they have an especially good night, they do occasionally tip. Usually they say so but not always.

15. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    $20 per dude doesn’t seem worth the negative karma hit. I’d have asked if it was intentional, it if it was me

BOOG, Bobro, makdub and 2 others like this.
  16. Bass Man Dan

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    It's just dumb. I couldn't believe he did it. And it just happened today, so it's fresh. I'm not bothered as much as I am dumbfounded.

saabfender likes this.
  17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Singer was wrong to do it without speaking with you, but it was smart to talk with them if you want to keep a relationship with them.

18. Better let sleeping dogs lie. You have no idea where the ''tip'' came from so no idea if it was appropriately returned and whoever you talked to in the bar management might very much disapprove of either or both transactions.

19. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Talented singers are hard to come by, and are MUCH more important to a band's success then us. Not sure he's the tool here...

20. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    We got paid twice as much as usual last weekend (place we play often). The owner said how happy he was we were back and that the place was packed all night. I didn't ask about it when we got paid. I just smiled, said thanks and left.

Last Rebel and Major_Rager_4MF like this.