1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So the bar "overpaid" us...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bass Man Dan, Mar 12, 2019.

1. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Why didn't you guys get your share in hand that night?

oldrocker likes this.
  2. Maybe your band was worth an extra $100?

3. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I would have assumed it were a mistake. What if that missing $100 wasn't part of the pay? This mistake might have cost someone's livelihood.

Hounddog409 and 12BitSlab like this.
  4. Its pretty common to have a low tier 100-a-man minimum, and then give the preferred bands an extra 100 or more. I suspect someone got confused, and you got the 2nd tier pay, or they thought you had one more member than actual. Or, it *might* have been a tip, but that usually comes with compliments and new bookings.

5. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    In other news, I happened upon an old-style carnival on July 4th a few years ago with my family. We took our two daughters on the Ferris Wheel.

They were a couple cars ahead of us. When we got off, I found out one of them found $20 in their car, and she was nice enough to let the carnie know she'd found it. He promised to make sure it got back to its rightful owner.

zon5string, Last Rebel and Beej like this.
  6. I'd have reacted the same as the OP, not because of the $100, but because of the what the singer did. That's not his own money, it's the band's money..or intended to be the band's money by whoever gave that $100... so he has no right to do what he did.

redwingxix, TheReceder and smogg like this.
  7. FunkyD

FunkyD Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2011
    NJ, USA
    Let's say the hundred went in his pocket and no one else knew about it...then what?

8. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    If we have an agreed upon price, and the bar overpays us or shorts us, I will ALWAYS bring it to the bar owner/bar manager/bartenders attention. We're a decent band and we make pretty good money, and we have a great reputation as being an honest bunch of guys that are easy to deal with. I won't jeopardize that for a few bucks. If the bar overpays you intentionally, they'll let let you know. If it was an accident, they'll think you guys are heroes for sticking to the agreement and not stealing money from them. The one thing I also won't ever do, which your singer did, is not tell the rest of the band about something that involves money. We fired a guitar player for doing that.

Bottom line, he was right to take the money back to the bar, but he screwed up by not telling you guys. I'd have a come-to-Jeezus talk with him about the consequences of money and not communicating with the rest of the band about said money...

9. Edarnott

Edarnott

Oct 25, 2018
    If it wasnt paid by the bar owner, it was a tip, the singer should have split it, unless you were on a set price per person.

10. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Having a reputation for honesty and fair dealing is worth far more than $100. Maybe he should have consulted the band before going back to the bar to see if it was a mistake, but he did the right thing. If you never want to play there again and know you'll never interact with any of the staff there, sure, you could have pocketed it and said nothing. But this was a safer course of action.

Hounddog409 and 4 Strings Good like this.
  11. Pure gold.

12. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Honesty = Best Policy

13. Mark Ambler

Mark Ambler

Nov 18, 2017
    London, UK.
    Unless you're certain it's a tip, be honest, you will gain respect, not lose it. Just say 'thanks for the tip', and even if it was a mistake they might let it go. If you don't mention it, when the bar is short $100, someone may well get their a$$ kicked, and then they realise they've overpaid the band, it doesn't exactly generate goodwill.

Greyvagabond and Hounddog409 like this.
  14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    If they gave you an extra $100 without intending to, your lead singer did the right thing by returning the money. Sounds like you're the type of person who when a cashier in a store accidentally gives you too much money back, you keep it without giving any consideration to the fact that the cashier might be written up or terminated. Can you say "Craftsman"?

Hounddog409 likes this.
  15. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    yes, because being honest is no way to go through life.

you sound like a tool if you think it is OK to take extra $$$ by mistake. you "think" it was a tip, but are not sure. the only right thing to do is ask and return money if it was a mistake.

worse case is you have a gig location for a long time

16. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Not the same. If someone made incorrect change, that's a clear mistake. My position on this is it was a tip. Had to have been. Why would someone with the bar give you $100 separately? It was a tip. He gave it back.
    I am sure the bar was happy though.

17. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    who knows? the correct and honest thing to do was to ask and return if it was a mistake.

Edarnott likes this.
  18. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    We played a private party last year and all five of us were to receive $100 each. The host gave the cash to our drummer (who had arranged the gig) and as we were cleaning up, the drummer gave us each our allotment. A few minutes later, the host came up to me and handed me a hundred dollar bill. I said "oh, that's ok, Dave already paid us." He said "I know, but I'd like to give each of you another hundred."

They really liked the band. We're scheduled to play for them again this fall.

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

My feeling is you call it a band because you operate as a unit. Which means good communications, no bad surprises, and everyone on the same page.

Having a band member go off and do his own thing with money coming into the band is problematic. Especially if he’s as clueless as your guy seems to be. Because he’s tipping someone on a split? Seriously? Who in their right mind would think of doing that. Unless…it actually was an overpayment, and the venue split it with him for being honest. Doesn’t explain the tip however. But whatever. The bigger issue is him going off on his own without consulting the rest of the band as you said in your first post.

I think you need to clarify what limits and responsibilities your BL holds if your singer is acting as your BL. Because BLs come in two flavors.

There’s the informal BL who speaks and acts on behalf of the band.

And there’s the formal BL who speaks and acts for the band.

The informal BL is a spokesperson and bagman. But at the end of the day, he or she is still just another band member. “First among equals” to use an old phrase. These BLs are in a relationship. And like with any good relationship, important things need to be discussed and agreed on by all the parties involved before action gets taken.

The formal BL is The Boss. Period. He or she isn’t just another band member. They are “the band.” They own the name. They get the work. They pay the bills. Everybody else is “in the band” is their employee and doesn’t need to be consulted about money, bookings, PR, or management decisions.

So if your singer is acting as your informal BL, you’ll all need to all sit down and discuss limits and responsibilities. And if you’re in a band that doesn’t really have a designated BL, the time has come for your band to sit down and do a little structuring.

Luck!

redwingxix likes this.
  20. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I could be wrong, but I think that the same people who are OK with taking money that was given to them by mistake would cry like babies if the situation were reversed.

redwingxix, kentiki, Edarnott and 6 others like this.