So what do you do with basses you can't sell

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Swipter, Mar 3, 2024.

1. Swipter

Swipter Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Phoenix
    No one seems interested on a few different sites. So what do you do? I just stare at it and mumble you should be goooooooonnnnneeee.

But it continues to sit there.

2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Don’t buy them? That’s what I do.
    But I can’t say the same for pedals so I’m empathetic.

what do you have and what is the price? If an instrument simply doesn’t move it may be priced too high.

The Owl, abok, Andre678 and 14 others like this.
  3. I’m in the same boat. I’ve got a bass on Reverb and TB Classifieds with not a single reply. I can see some people on Reverb are “watching” it, but no action yet. Now, it’s a fairly common bass (SBMM Ray5) and it has a couple of minor imperfections. But I want it gone. So we’ll see.

May just have to reorient my standards for the price I’m willing to set.

4. MrB64

MrB64

Nov 18, 2021
    Missouri, USA
    Play it, try to sell it again after awhile.

5. Swerve

Swerve

Nov 22, 2002
    Oregon
    If you’re desperate enough Guitar Center or a pawn shop will take it off your hands. IME GC will give you about 60% of what they would sell it for.

rockdoc11, drooartz, Gaolee and 10 others like this.
  6. Swipter

Sep 7, 2009
    Phoenix
    Thinking about that. But, TBH, I do like playing it. I just need to fund what I already bought. Lol

7. Swipter

Sep 7, 2009
    Phoenix
    I even put it on offer up but the amount of musical instruments in the local area is phenomenal. It's a little daunting.

8. Swerve

Swerve

Nov 22, 2002
    Oregon
    The manager at the GC near me said they are getting pickier about what 2nd hand instruments they take in because inventory isn’t moving very much. I think the used market is a bit flooded and people are tightening their belts at the moment. Less disposable income.

9. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    So, GC will be lowering their prices, right?

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

10. Swipter

Sep 7, 2009
    Phoenix
    I was thinking people aren't buying. No big deal. I'm set. I can keep it and throw a fresh set of 170s on it if it doesn't sell and play the heck of it. All I know is I'm not giving it away.

Nice to know GC isn't buying like they were. They did want my Pedulla but I have no reason get rid of it.

11. Swipter

Sep 7, 2009
    Phoenix
    I have the Squier CV 60s P bass listed. I'm not shipping so that adds an issue.

Killing Floor, PennyroyalWe and bignc like this.
  12. rylie

rylie

Sep 25, 2017
    somewhere stable
    this is marketing 101...price moves product
    are you setting price at comparable basses?
    if not, compare your price with others selling comparable
    if your eager to sell, reduce that 10-20% lower than comparable
    the final sale may not meet your expectations, but at the right price point someone will buy it

13. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Give it away

14. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

15. Templar

Templar Rythm Wrangler Supporting Member

Good idea. Or put it away for a while, then re-evaluate later. Might be questioning why on earth it was for sale in the first place stoopid GAS!:help:

16. _One//Man//Mutiny_

_One//Man//Mutiny_ Gold Supporting Member

I would definitely take it to GC, you may be surprised what they offer you for it. With shipping having the potential to be astronomical depending where a buyer may be, take that into consideration with their offer. I’ve been pretty happy every time I go there after something I have sits for a while. If it’s a bass, they will usually offer me what a bass realistically will sell for, minus shipping. Usually ends up pretty comparable, and you save a bunch of time and effort, which is also something to consider.
    This entirely depends on best case scenarios though, great GC employee and sellable bass.
    You’re in no obligation to accept what they offer either, I’ve had them offer me peanuts and I’ve had them offer me more than I paid myself. Most of the time it’s right on that line of being reasonable.

17. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    I bought one used for $150, though that was 3 years ago. Idk what you’ve got it listed at, but if you want it to move I’d start at $250 and drop from there.

tbz likes this.
  18. Lower the price.

19. Swerve

Swerve

Nov 22, 2002
    Oregon
    I usually lose money selling to GC, but there is much less hassle involved. Sometimes you win though. I bought an older Trace Elliott combo amp on Craigslist for $200. Took it home for a few hours, played it, and wasn’t into it at all. Brought it to GC the same day and they gave me $425 for it when I was just hoping to break even.

20. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    This is wrong on so many levels