1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So, what patch cables should I get??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Eric!, Apr 23, 2010.

1. George L

32.5%
  2. Mogami

2.5%
  3. Lava

20.0%
  4. Evidence Audio

7.5%
  5. Other

37.5%
  1. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    I've finally got all the pedals I want and am more than happy. But I've been using poopy Hosa patches forever now. I blame them for this hiss I get. I'm looking around at these different ones (Mogami, George L, Lava DIY, Lava solderless..)..I just don't know if there's really a difference?
    I don't really need 10' of cable, as I only rock the PT-mini. They appear to offer a lot here.

Opinions? Kthxbye

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I voted "other" because I was thinking DIY. But if you just want to buy prefab, all the brands you mentioned are fine. I've been using George L's for many years and they're great, but those Lava solderless cables look better actually--more rugged, with tighter fit between cable and plug. That said, I tear apart and rearrange my pedalboard all the time, so lately I mostly use soldered (traditional) cables, since the solderless ones come unscrewed if you futz with them too much. I make mine from Canare and Belden brand bulk cable, and G&H nickel plugs.

3. fedebass

fedebass

Feb 22, 2006
    Aarhus, Denmark
    I voted "other" too. I've been using the Monster Bass cables (they come in patch lenght as well), I think they're really well built and they helped with my passive bass and noise/interference reduction.

4. It's a bit of a dead horse around here, but I can't bring myself to buy cables that are A) made by that corporation, and B) actually intended to add heaps of capacitance.

+1 to DIY.

5. Nerotic

Nerotic Guest

Sep 17, 2008
    I voted Lava. They're small, easy to assemble and if you tighten the plug with a pair of pliers, it won't unscrew so easily.

But if you rearrange often, standard soldered cables are the way to go. Rearranging often, also kinda defeats the purpose of custom lenght cables in my mind.

6. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot.

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.
    Another vote for DIY.

Get some Mogami or Canare cable and some switchcraft jacks. If you've never soldered anything before, this is a great way to learn.

Custom cut to the length you need, solder, and voila. Do them yourself correctly, and they won't fail, ever.

7. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    A pretty fair consensus for DIYing them it seems. That's a good route :)

Everyone's favorite place to buy cable and jacks?

8. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    the best deal i could find at the time on canare gs-6/neutrik was at fullcompass. quick with shipping too.

oh....and i vote canare all the way.

9. Some good stuff in here.

Search, Eric... search!!!!

:ninja:

10. FuzzAddict

FuzzAddict

Oct 30, 2009
    I think you should go for one of those Planet Waves cable kits. I've used one, and it's awesome. It is some of the quietest cable going out there. But tha's just my opinion. Like gnasher1993 said " Go forth and search!!!!!":D

11. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    This. I went with the DIY stuff from Pro Cables out of Detroit, mainly because I saw a good friend on the front page and their email correspondence was good. Everything worked out great. Pricewise, I easily got three times the amount of materials that I would've had I gone with a solderless system.

But ultimately, it's your call. The solderless ones have a good rep, and only you can determine what the time savings (soldering cables vs. the alternative) is worth.

12. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Exactly what I was gonna say, G&H are good jacks to.

13. burl0029

burl0029 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    St. Paul Park, MN
    I voted GL. I've been using them for years and they've yet to fail me. I wouldn't mind the additional peace of mind of the soldered cables, but the plugs take up too much space. The GL right angle plugs are nice and small and enable me to keep my pedals closer together for a tighter fit on the board.

I looked at the Switchcraft 228 plugs (the ultra-flat, kinda wide, right angle plugs) but they're a bit too wide and too long for those spots where the plugs are close together, such as my effect loop box. Plus, I route my cables under the surface of the board and the GL cables are nice because the cable can go straight out of the plug and down through the surface of the board.

14. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    I went with Pro Cables, they seem like a pretty great deal :D
    They have a combo bulk kit with all the essentials

15. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    Cool. Their email support is really good too; I've been very happy with the cables that I got from them.

16. make your own => cheaper and variable lenghts according to your needs.

17. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Oh wow, they have great prices, and the Canare GS4 cable they offer looks like a thinner version of the GS6, thanks for the link!

18. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    While I still prefer George L's for my pedalboard, I do use ProCables&Sound cables for my other connections. Great, consistent quality & best communication and fulfillment than any other company I've dealt with! If I were going to go with soldered pedalboard leads- I'd definitely consider these!

19. Fetzu

Fetzu

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    +1
    I went this route too. Really good people.

20. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I like the George L's. I've had some that I put together 5-6 years ago that still work fine after going through multiple PB setups.