Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So what ya think?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by spots, Jun 21, 2004.

1. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    Hi, I've been haunting this board for a while now and I've finally got some sound clips up on my webpage. I'm asking for any comments at all that u might have? Constructive, complementary, cruel. Whatever you can throw say it, just want some honest feedback.
    Anywhoo...
    first song- slap song, horrible title i know. composed it a week before the battle of the bands, awesome riff, bass solo, a little rushy, this was my first attempt at a live slap like solo, and for first time i think it went well. :smug:
    second song- Chameleon(cover), had to ressurect this old favorite. First song I ever played with the band ive been in for 3 and a 1/2 years and finally brought it back. Nice calypso interlude, some crazy stuff here.
    third song- samsara stroke(cover), this is an awesome song my band mates found on a cd from the vancouver jazz fest, its by the millenium project, rush this one, but it was tight none the less,
    fourth song- standing on the verge of getting it on(cover), this was a P-funk cover my funk/jazz fusion band did for out 5 week blowout concert at Berklee last summer. Very tight and sweet. plus out singer(who was the band leader) was crazy with lotsa energy. You can here my friends giving the music a healthy "HWAH" at the end of the recording.
    I hope you all enjoy these clips.
    link- http://www.geocities.com/bar0nv0naar0n/
    thanks
    ~spots :hyper:
    edit- btw i was 16 when these clips were recorded and 17 now.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ultimate Frisbee is awesome.

3. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    It certainly is. I played a 10 on 10 game thursday. Total blast but man do my legs hurt...
    Anyone listen to the clips yet? looking for comments...

4. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    OK...I'm reviewing this as I listen....

slapsong: The A part...it's just a groove, no changes or anything...no problems with that, but it leaves a LOT of room for the horns to play a really nice melody, which they aren't. Same with the bridge.

chameleon: because of the recording quality, I can't tell if it's a guitar or keys (I'm leaning towards piano or keys..)...but what they're playing is pretty bland...not much energy or creativity. I also think you should mix up your groove a little...fill in some of the space between the horn parts. The drummer's not really doing this either.

samsara: sounds pretty good...only comment is I think the rhythym section needs to react more to the soloist...

standing on the verge: drummer needs to spice it up a little...not too much, but a little more would help with the energy. nice buildup during the breakdown into the guit solo... the solo doesn't really go anywhere though. 2nd breakdown into the bridge is really cool! Where's the bass solo?? Great funk tune...you guys should've worked in a little 1 or 2 measure bass-only bridge somewhere!

Alright, I hope the comments help!! Overall it was good stuff, so keep in mind I compared it to the world's best...which 99% of us can't hang with anyway!!
    -Dave

5. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Forgot to mention...the comments I made about energy may be just the bad recording quality...
    -Dave