1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So will this shut up the Wolfgang Van Halen haters?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Harper, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001
  2. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Holly crap

3. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    He's playing his balls off.

Too bad the person filming didn't tilt the phone to put it in widescreen so you can actually see what's going on. :rolleyes:

Ha and what's with Dave's clamdigger getup?:D

4. Franz Jr.

Franz Jr. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    There is no question Michael Anthony got screwed on this deal and completely disrespected. And with all due respect to you I don't think Wolfgang smokes him in anyway, shape or form. Just listen to Chickenfoot. Also the song Without You from Van Halen III (not a great album) MA plays some sick lines

VAN HALEN - without you (live 1998) - YouTube

You don't think Eddie's son is going to get some sort of special treatment and will probably be able to get away with a busier bass line than MA?

5. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Feb 12, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I generally don't think people have a problem with Wolfgang's playing, but rather just want to see the original lineup together again.:bassist:

6. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

What is truly amazing is that this does not happen until May of this year....we can still get tickets!!!!

7. Great tone!

8. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004

I thought so too... Really aggressive sounding...

9. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    In the comments on Youtube it says this is an old unreleased song so, if that is the case, he is just playing MA's lines anyway. I think he played well though...

10. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL

Not necessarily.

11. Couldn't really see his rig at all but, man, nice deep mid range, I'll bet it sounded awesome live.

12. Yep, Mike can play (and Wolfie can, too). Regarding the Beatles quote they threw in at the very end of the song you linked- ironic, no?

13. Eddie looks like crap. So does David.

They sound great, except the vocals are a little weak (IMO).

14. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have a problem with the huge middle finger they are giving MA. Sammy Hagar recognizes talent when he hears/sees it. Go Chickenfoot!

15. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Feb 12, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I agree - it's wrong. But MA doesn't need Van Halen to continue to be successful. The stuff he's doing w/ Chickenfoot is pretty good IMO. I mean, with that lineup how can you go wrong?

16. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I could careless about who is better. Love the tone,

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well, he's had several years to take lessons, learn and absorb from other bass players. And I'm sure dad was on his @$$ everyday!

18. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Van Halen= Eddie and The Cruisers featuring Sal Amato.

19. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Agreed. That's kind of what I was trying to say - along with the VH dig. I know it's the biz, but that's a crappy way to treat the guy who was there from the beginning and through a lot of crap.

He probably doesn't care anyway as he's doing more without VH than with - and probably with a lot less drama.

20. He sounds great !!! It's cool to hear the band gel like that...............makes we want to check 'em out :bassist: