Solar Guitars annouces first bass lineup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Naviiin, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Interesting. Prices seem fair. I cant find the string spacing on that 5er. Looks nice and narrow though.

O wait, its for modern metal players. Dammit! I don't really play modern metal that much, maybe 80's "Hair metal" now n then.

If the 5 string bass came in that awesome green fade/burst color shown on the guitar, Id be all in.

T$

wintremute and byoung93888 like this.
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

they look like they're built for speed! i'm currently going through 'comfort' phase, however, so a hard pass for me. but they look nice!

kesslari and Helix like this.
  3. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    WoW. Just spent the last hour or so checking out specs on all their guitars.. some awesome stuff and decent prices (it seems, as I haven't played any). But wow.

They NEEED more Bass options (or at least colors). Why does every bass have to be brown? Especially when they make so many different (and many bold) guitar flavors. :rollno: :confused: :sour:

T$

4. byoung93888

byoung93888 Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    upload_2020-10-23_11-10-43.png

Sign me up for a bass version of this!

5. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Pointy reverse headstock, ESP looks, generic pickups, preamp and hardware, narrow flatpick-y fingerboard... It could be taken more seriously if they fixed those issues, but this version just looks a bit too... metal/glam/hairband or something. Does it come with a coupon for your local tattoo parlor?

tindrum, Tvrtko, Relayer71 and 4 others like this.
  6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Cool looking. That black is sharp.

Helix, Vinny_G and byoung93888 like this.
  7. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    New celestial bodies in the Solar system. I like them.

byoung93888 likes this.
  8. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    ESP, Schechter, LTD, Ibanez , Dean, Jackson all come to mind.

tindrum, HardNHeavy and Dr. Keebs like this.
  9. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Pretty cool. I'd like a 4 string in neon yellow!

LordHar, M0ses and byoung93888 like this.
  10. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Don't like the design, but may be they sound great.

11. ItsmeSantiago

ItsmeSantiago

Nov 23, 2015
    Ola has a great YouTube page, and his guitars are high quality at good prices.

imabuddha, LordHar, Gustopher and 4 others like this.
  12. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    And Kiesel as well!!!!

tindrum, DJ Bebop, MYLOWFREQ and 2 others like this.
  13. mark286

mark286 Proud to be a Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Central New Jersey
    Ola has a new video showing the basses.

14. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    I don't see (or hear) a compelling reason to choose these over any number of other brands that seem to fill exactly the same niche. That said, more power to 'em!

15. kmon

kmon

May 11, 2009
    Marlton, NJ
    I support reverse headstocks.

AdamR, Spectrum, Thundar and 2 others like this.
  16. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I like the sleek body shapes and that lower cutaway looks like it will allow excellent access to the higher frets. The easy-access battery box is nice too.

I'm not keen on the reverse headstocks, though. I like to outfit my 4-strings with a Hipshot Xtender so I can quickly flip into drop-D, and the reverse headstock would make using one darn near impossible. Modern metal is all about drop tunings, so you'd think they'd go for a regular headstock to accommodate Hipshot Xtenders.

And +1 on there needing to be more colors. I want to see that 4-string in transparent red!

I'm also not sure about that sungkai wood. From what I've found, it's typically used for furniture, which makes me think it might be heavy. I remember when ESP was using merbau for its D-series basses and anything I could find on merbau related to flooring or furniture, and those basses were reputed to be heavy since, well, you need a durable wood for floors and stuff.

The price and spec sheet seem reasonable, and I like that it's something unique that not everyone out there is playing. But that reverse headstock is a dealbreaker for me.

Give me a regular headstock and a transparent red finish on that 4-string, then it may pique my interest.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  17. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I have to agree.
    So many other unknown bass companies to choose from. Lunar basses, for example. They eclipse Solar!

Beej, TrustRod, Max Bogosity and 2 others like this.
  18. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, these don't seem to slot into a niche the way the guitars do, but the guitars are very high quality for the price.

19. Bassic Needs

Bassic Needs

Jul 7, 2019
    Canada
    There has been some talk of QC issues for the guitars. Ola mentioned it and that they are trying to address that. Just be aware in case you are thinking of one.