Sold Woolly Mammoth-Need Cheap Replacement Sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Etchbass, Oct 26, 2011.

1. So.... I sold my woolly mammoth in favor of a Wattson Classic Fuzz... which I love, but I find myself missing that really ripping, gated fuzz tone. It seems like most bass oriented fuzz pedals are just variations on a big muff, which isn't really what I'm looking for.

This is something I recorded right before I got rid of my woolly mammoth... to give you an idea of the sound that I'm really starting to miss:

http://theetchings.bandvista.com/rw_media/users/user_files/30839/The Etchings-Checkerboard Lies.mp3

Any suggestions for alternatives? or am i going to have to bite the bullet and get another mammoth?

thanks!

2. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    You could try a Mastotron.

3. That was my first thought. I'm going to try one ASAP and see if it's got what I need. Any other suggestions? I know that there are a TON of cheap and decent fuzz pedals out there. It's just really difficult wading through all of them and finding decent sound clips. The sound doesn't have to be exact, just in the ballpark... also... I'd rather not buy a clone of a pedal that zach vex, or anyone for that matter, is still producing and making a living on. Thank you all so much for your help!!!

4. {edit for accidental double post}

5. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Iron Ether Oxide can get some pretty unusual sounds, but it might not be what you're after. www.fuzzhugger.com has a bunch of different weird fuzzes, including quite a number of gated ones. I think Devi Ever has some (Legend of Fuzz?).

6. I'm actually messing around with my guitarist's AB-Synth Fuzzhugger right now----its pretty frickin cool. Lots of bells and whistles. Not exactly what I'm looking for, but I want it on my board now, hahaha.

7. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    get a WM clone

8. FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS

Take a peek here. TB member, good dude. Just another option to investigate. Ultimately I'd say snag another Woolly since it's what gave you the tone you're missing.

9. Ok, my brother just pointed out that "this is America!," and feeling bad for playing a mammoth clone would be like feeling bad about drinking rc cola instead of coke, hahaha. Free market society, cheap alternatives and whatnot. Sooo... any suggestions on the best/cheapest woolly mammoth clone? Also taking other suggestions under consideration. So far I think the Iron Ether Oxide is a bit different, but could be a really cool substitude... a little pricey though. Thanks guys!

10. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    +1
    There was just one in the classifieds for $80. Might still be there!

11. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003
    Belgium
    Mastotron all the way for me (impedance knob is the most important thing on that pedal)

EQ Devices Hoof for Muff-type sounds

Herwig

12. Zerstorte Zelle

Zerstorte Zelle

Jan 8, 2010
    New York
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, D'addario Strings
    i'll build you a wm clone.

13. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Which Wattson classic? To get a sound like that I'd use my Wattson fy-6 which is in an Xotic blender, about 50/50. Actually, there's quite a few pedals BLENDED that sound like that. Fuzzhugger Velcroar and Subdecay (Flying) Tomato come to mind. None of these has enough bass response to be used outside a blender. For a more synthy sound I have a DE Ruiner in the blend too. Better try the Mastrotron before you buy it.
    Best all around fuzz these days is TAFM. It has so many sounds that it could do that one. I'm not crazy about the Iron Ether, it makes a hissy chuffing sound at the attack (for me playing active basses) and it isn't as warm as a Mammoth. And it's too hot to boot.

14. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I just got an Iron Ether Oxide a few days ago, and playing through an active bass, I'm loving the tones but have to agree on its epic hotness. For the life of me I can't figure out how to calm it down to work alongside other tones in my chain. The disparity between clean and SUPERFUZZ might be a gamekiller if I can't figure out a better solution for leveling out volumes. However the Brassmaster sounds it pumps out are pure s3x.

Edit: Taylor Livingston, builder and inventor of Iron Ether pedals, just commented on another one of my threads on this very topic, providing a better explanation of the Fuzz vs. Clean vs. Drive controls... saying Fuzz controls the volume of fuzz, Drive controls amount of Fuzz, and Clean does what its supposed to. Definitely going to spend a couple weeks with this pedal before making judgement cuz the tone is $ $ $

15. Guess I'm gonna have to just find out who has got the cheapest mammoth circuit available, eh?

16. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    Or you could make your own. I did.

17. BTW:

Someone was just talking about this last week....and I own a Zvex which as we all know costs a pile of cash...

Zvex did not design the circuit in the wooly mammoth. Added a tone circuit to an existing design that was public domain (and kickass) and made boatloads of cash money on it.

So don't feel bad about getting or building a clone, as you're not ripping anyone off.

CM

18. well, it said on the bottom of the pedal that chuck zwicky designed it... i just assumed the two are close pals... whats the deal?

19. naruki

naruki

May 1, 2010
    London
    Might be just me but, the Mammoth is my fav pedal but I sold it because I only use active basses now, then I bought a Mastotron. Compared to the Mammoth, I feel that the Mastotron sounds really dull and dead.

20. I've tried about 4 wm clones and none of them have close to the real thing. That's why I just recently bought a used wm.

The Tafm sounds like a big muff and the oxide is just different but definitely nothing close to a woolly IMO.

In simple words..BUY YOURSELF A ZVEX WOOLLY MAMMOTH!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021