1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Some interesting things going on at musiciansfriend

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Devils Advocate, Aug 28, 2012.

1. I was just going to post that tonight was a sad night for me and americanmusical, and as I was typing away... the penny dropped. Ding! I believe musiciansfriend has come up with a very clever sales idea!

I usually order from AM because they're practically in my backyard, and I get delivery the next day. MF takes about a week. Anyhow, I called AM to have them pricematch and give me the labor day discount offered at MF. They wouldn't (said they couldn't) because they said the item I wanted was on their exclusion list, and they can't match negotiated prices. I checked, and the guy was right, item I wanted was excluded. But guess what? EVERYTHING is on their exclusion list!!!! And they tell you to call or chat, which I did, and had no problem. They dropped my price according to their offer, no questions asked.

I think this is great, for them, but I can't help to feel there's something slightly dishonest or weird about it. Like they're playing the game well, but cheating just a tiny little bit. Maybe akin to stealing basses? (pun intended) :) I like having the option to shop other places, and I guess I still can and pay extra for quicker shipping. The other places can also simply honor the specials if they were keen to what's going on.

OK. This isn't all that big a deal, but I hope it serves at least to let you all know to CALL MF if what you want is excluded from their specials. And trust me, it will be.

And ya gotta admit that the exclusions list is a bit funny http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pages/4deals-exclusions .

2. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Yikes!! It would have been shorter just to list the stuff NOT on the exclusion list. Which would have been what....? RAT distortion pedals maybe?

What a scam.

3. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Everything is excluded it seems, online, but when you call they will usually deal. This has to do with online and B&M minimum advertised price requirements from the mfg'er. You can only advertise $XXXX, but you can actually sell it for what you want, but it takes a phone call.

4. Skaught

Skaught

Feb 15, 2010
    Hey gang,

Skaught from Musician's Friend here. Sorry for any inconvenience this exclusions list might cause you. Unfortunately, it's a simple matter of these manufacturers chose not to participate in this offer. With that being said, we're here to sell gear and help you make music. Give us a call or personally email me at forums@musiciansfriend.com. We'll do whatever we can to make sure you get the best price possible.

Thanks!