1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Someone cracked the Animato

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by father of fires, Oct 9, 2014.

1. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    first, thanks for posting the schematic Adam!
    I found your PCB to be a bit on the huge side so I drew up my own based on your version 1.08 schematic.
    here's a pic of my smaller pcb layout (top) vs. your larger one (bottom):

AnimatoPCBs-2versions.jpg
    time to start etching and building it and (hopefully) testing it by tomorrow morning.

eveilleu, Crowella and nshuman like this.
  2. The DI I don't know; the OS is probably unclonable or at least VERY DAMN DIFFICULTLY SO.
    The RS has already been cloned, look up "string ringer". I'm actually very keen on building it but right now it's way over my level.

Rawpower likes this.
  3. Crowella

Crowella Commercial User

Apr 19, 2012
    Central Coast, NSW
    Owner of Crowella Effects
    Thank you. I really hope your PCB works. :D What transistors are you planning on using?

The PCB was just a copy of the original board and more for representation than one to build off of.

Please note that you will need a LINEAR pot for the tone and the tone lugs will need to be wired in reverse.

Other than that, I got a LTspice sim of the circuit done so I can confirm it at least works like it should. I've got it set up in LTspice for 2N3904's and a 2N3906.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Lx-E88bAtEUy0wdFpjQWh4WlU/view?usp=sharing

Also, the switch... it does... erm... cause headaches in LTspice but in reality stuff all. Not even sure if it's worth writing. It does nothing but slightly change the bias voltage. I adjusted those resistors in the switch too so maybe I caused that but I mean... well, you can probably emit the switch too.
    http://i.imgur.com/m1I5aQj.png
    http://i.imgur.com/prm74Ma.png
    So from LTspice. Treble Booster + Big Muff Pi. Joy, oh joy.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    champbassist likes this.
  4. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    I imagine the DI is equally difficult to the OS to clone. It's a digital black box that Akai has no interest in opening up to anyone.

5. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    me too. I'm going to use the specified germs with 2N3904's until my 2SC2240's arrive.

yeah, I kinda figured that.

okay, i'll try that.

well, I drew it up with the switch so i'm going to try it with the switch.

6. Crowella

Crowella Commercial User

Apr 19, 2012
    Central Coast, NSW
    Lucky you can get your hands on some. Can't get any germanium transistors here so I'm going to be scratching my head on how to best work around this (maybe just use one NPN to trial it)

The switch was part of the mystery anyway, so it has to be included. :D

7. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    I got the PCB etched and built up. i just need to wire it up to the pots, switch and jack for testing (fingers crossed).

AnimatoPCB-03.jpg

blindrabbit likes this.
  8. Crowella

Crowella Commercial User

Apr 19, 2012
    Central Coast, NSW
    So pretty. My fingers are crossed too. :)

I breadboarded it today. I didn't manage to successfully get the simple amplifier in the BMP part right but bypassing that, it sounds damn close.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  9. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    what's the polarity of the 10uf caps?

10. Crowella

Crowella Commercial User

Apr 19, 2012
    Central Coast, NSW
    I put them as positive to the collector.

11. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    my PCB follows the 1.08 schematic exactly and while it kinda works, it has a TON of hiss (even with the tone control cutting as much highs as possible).
    IMO, something is not right with it yet.
    I've run it on my scope and can see the distortion curves, but the hiss would render it unuseable right now.

12. Crowella

Crowella Commercial User

Apr 19, 2012
    Central Coast, NSW
    Hmm... shoot me any questions you have so I can go back to the original and have a look.

13. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    I just tried a 102A and a 103A (instead of a 102 and 103) and it sounds pretty darn awesome now and is A LOT quieter (hiss-wise) so I think that the circuit is in fact correct.

14. Crowella

Crowella Commercial User

Apr 19, 2012
    Central Coast, NSW
    I am using the silicon and it doesn't have that "attack" but the basics are there.

15. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    please post the polarity of the 10u caps as used in the original pedal. i'm running 1uf non polars right now just to be sure that it passes signal thru the stages without that being an issue.

16. Crowella

Crowella Commercial User

Apr 19, 2012
    Central Coast, NSW
  17. Crowella

Crowella Commercial User

Apr 19, 2012
    Central Coast, NSW
    I just tried that setup with one silicon transistor and the attack is there :D Just less gain.

18. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    well mine sounds awesome with two germs so i'm happy with it. it has TONS of gain. thanks again!

19. Crowella

Crowella Commercial User

Apr 19, 2012
    Central Coast, NSW
    No problems at all, glad you are enjoying it! :D I think the two germs are the way to go to get the most from it. I've tuned it slightly for the silicon by making the resistor off the first 220. So... confirmed? I'll do a quick sound demo

20. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah, i'd confirm it. I just need to put the three 10uf caps back in it now and box it up.
    it seems to have plenty of low end so I don't think it'll require a blender, but it's late and I can't crank it up to test it at gig volume right now.

eveilleu, yaksonator and nshuman like this.