1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

something new for me to practise?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mirror Messiah, Oct 13, 2009.

1. hi, i was just wondering if anyone has an idea what to practise. i love a lot of musical styles, but my own playing still seems a bit confined to me, i guess. most notable and different songs i've learned to up my own style are the other by isis (creativity,'chill' playing, timing) , supa scoopa and the mighty scoop by kyuss (speed, groovyness), god times bad times by led zeppelin (sheer awesomeness) and money by pink floyd (weird time signature practise).

it seems to me that i keep coming up with the same stuff, and i basically need something that i wouldn't have gone out to practise on my own accord...what is some stuff that has helped you with your technique, finesse and creativity?

suggestions, please?:bag:

2. randyripoff

randyripoff

Jul 12, 2008
    Chicago
    It sounds like you're fairly new to playing, so I'll recommend stuff by the Clash. Particularly as they progressed through their history, they experimented with a lot of different musical styles. At the same time, nothing they did was so incredibly difficult as to be intimidating. It's good to learn a large range of styles.

3. afromoose

afromoose Guest

Can I recommend (again) the bass bible by paul westwood - it's the most useful bass book I've ever come across.

4. afromoose

afromoose Guest

http://sites.google.com/site/bristolbassandguitar/Home/lesson-pdfs?pli=1

I just posted up a few Meters things, 'Pusherman' by Curtis Mayfield, which has got some really nice offbeat rhythm stuff (especially in the instrumental jam type bit). Also on there is 'She Caught the Katy' - a transcription of Donald Dunn's bassline from the Blues Brothers soundtrack, which is a great bassline.

5. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    +10000000 to what afromoose says...

i'd also recommend learning some tower of power tracks to gain some new perspective on syncopation. what is hip will definitely put your chops in place.

6. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars
    Your problem sounds familiar...

Technique and finesse can be improved by playing from books or with CD's. I'm old school - just about anything fast and complicated will do. I play Charlie Parker bop themes - yes, the melodies.

But to creatively handle the functional aspects of bass playing (to provide a reliable rhythmic and harmonic foundation) you need to play many styles, in many places and with many people.

CD's won't help - you'll learn to follow, while you're supposed to interact with or maybe even lead the rhytm section. Timing can only be learned in a band setting.