sonar 5

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mlove, Jan 24, 2006.

1. mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    im thinking of upgading from calkwalk homestudio 2004. who owns sonar 5 and what do you think of it or would i be better off looking for a cheap copy of sonar 4 producer. i mainly use DAW's as a midi seqencer for writing material and some audio recording. hobby rig.

2. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Being a Cakewalk fanatic, I'd say go for Sonar 5. Realistically though, few of the improvements in Sonar 5 are geared towards what you're doing, unless you're obsessed with the quality of your reverb tail-outs and plugin processing. If you can find a copy of Sonar 4 PE cheaper, you'd probably manage to save a few bucks, and you wouldn't miss any features at all.

Just out of curiosity, though, for MIDI authoring and some audio recording, why aren't you happy with Home Studio '04?
  3. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    I can't comment on Sonar 5 but I have had great success with Sonar 4 PE. I would definitely recommend it.
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

Same here. I'll make my Sonar 4 PE last for now. It's already more functional then I am ;) I really didn't need to jump out of my "Guitar tracks" version I started with.
  5. Yeah, probably no need for 5, 4PE should more than cover what you need to accomplish.
  6. Either one would be a great improvement! I love Sonar 4!
  7. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    I have Sonar 5 PE, been using it since it came out in October. Love it. It's much more capable than my previous software, Cubase SE. It has a very nice convolution reverb, some great synths and effects. There are other programs out there that are just as good (Cubase SX3, for example) but it is working well for me.