1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Songs That Use a Bass Tremolo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Stickk, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    What are songs where the bassist uses a tremolo (whammy bar)?

2. A lot of songs by Primus not used over the top but on the low key like in Sgt. Pepper and the intro to My Name is Mud. Victor Wooten also has a tremolo on one of his basses so I'd look through a few of his songs as well.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Note that "tremolo" and "whammy" aren't the same thing, although they do get mixed up a lot via Fender guitar amps and certain other vintage guitar brands.

"Tremolo" is a cyclical volume change.
    "Vibrato" is a cyclical pitch change.
    "Whammy" is pitch change using a lever to pull the strings.

4. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Yes, I know, I wasn't trying to be technical. I used tremolo because I thought people would know what I meant (for example, Hipshot and Kahler both call their bass whammy bridges "tremolos."

5. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Primus and Victor Wooten are the only things that jump to my mind when it comes to bass trems. Kip Winger had one on a bass back in the 80's, but I kind of doubt it was very prominent. So Primus and Wooten would be where I'd look.

6. Hum "Starship Troopers" by Yes?

7. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Remember the cover of the Cheech and Chong song by Munkybarz uasing his Kahler?

That was a sweet video.

8. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Rough Cutt's bassist uses one, in the songs, not doing the crazy guitar stuff.

9. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Stanley Clarke - one of his basses has a Bigsby unit, seen on the cover of I Want To Play For You.

10. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    The Nugebeast's Stranglehold has a sweet bass solo. The bass player doesn't use a trem, but you can make the solo even better with one!

11. The middle section of 905 by The Who - medium scale Alembic with Bigsby.

12. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    sgt. baker... les doing beatles is more of a frog brigade thing.

13. Co.

Co.

Sep 10, 2006
    Germany
    German bass player Helmut Hattler uses or used a whammy bar in the past. You might know him from the krautrock band Kraan.

14. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Deep Purple - Fireball. Don't know what Glover was using.

15. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I was gonna mention "Heart Of The Sunrise" by Yes...but we were both mislead by the OP's taking slight (though not unprecedented) liberties with the word "Tremolo". Yes, Chris Squire used electronic amplitude modulation on a number of his recorded tracks; that's "tremolo" in the legitimate sense of the word.

Turns out OP was asking about Whammy Bars, aka Vibrato Tailpieces, strictly technically incorrectly known as Tremolo Tailpieces or just plain Tremolos.

Tony Levin used a Kahler-equipped MusicMan Stingray on "Dig Me" and "Industry" from the King Crimson album Three Of A Perfect Pair

16. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    The ending of Billy Sheehan's "NV433H5"

17. Your41Plague12

Your41Plague12

Oct 30, 2007
    The Law & Order theme song has a pretty cool bass divebomb in it.

18. In the late 80s/early 90s Glover played a Tune bass with tremolo/vibrato/wobbly bar bridge when they did 'Fireball' live.

The original studio album was recorded with a Fender Mustang, short scale thereby allowing him to achieve those considerable string bends. I don't know if it's great or terrible, that solo. Love it though!:D

Nowadays he just uses his standard Vigier and goes for a moremelodic solo.

19. jasonmasters

jasonmasters

Dec 18, 2008
    Oregon
    Kahler was the only company I could find that made a wammy bar for a 6 string bass. it should be here in a few days and Chris Benavente is going to put it on my Vortex. I've already got a few songs in mind to use it on. new recordings with it coming soon!

www.myspace.com/apteraband

20. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    most of the stuff with "tremolo" on bass I've heard is from the late 80s and early 90s, but I don't know about names, just stuff that suddenly plays on the radio xD