1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Songs with odd time signatures

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Stickk, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    This is for all fans of odd time signature music. Post you favorite song(s) with an odd time signature.

Some of mine: Keep it Greasy - Frank Zappa - 19/16 (solo and first verse)
    Horse Hunter - Dillinger Escape Plan - 8/16, 10/16, 4/4, 8/8, 18/8, 6/4, 5/8, 13/8
    Right in Two - Tool - 11/8
    Pyramid Song - Radiohead - 16/4 (3/4, 2/4, 3/4, 3/4, 2/4, 3/4 [what's your guys's opinion on this song?])
    You - Radiohead - 23/4
    Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt - The Mars Volta - 6/8 and 20/8 (during the solo)
    Fake Paradise - Jean Luc Ponty - 33/16 verses (9+9+9+6)
    Windows to the Soul - Steve Vai - 11/16
    Jambi - Tool - 9/8, 6/4
    Tatragrammation - The Mars Volta - ? a lot of wierd time signatures:confused:

please post!

2. I've always been a fan of Rush's songs in 7/8 time.

Limelight
    Red Barchetta
    YYZ
    Subdivisions (chorus in 6/8)
    The Trees (the bridge portion)

etc. etc. etc....

Plus my band does a lot of weird time signatures, 6/8, 7/8, 3/4, etc.

3. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Money - Pink Floyd

Starts in 7/8 then 4/4 then back to 7/8

Transitions between the time sigs contain extra beats

4. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    The Dance of Eternity - Dream Theater
    Heretics and Killers - Protest The Hero

5. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    In an interview the guitarists said they switch to 4/4 because he sucks at solos in odd time sigs, haha.

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

It's actually 7/4. The beat unit is the same both in the 7-beat and 4-beat sections. As a counterexample, the synth theme/guitar solo section of Rush's "Tom Sawyer" is in 7/8 because the beat unit in that section is half the value of the preceding section (which is in 4/4).

:confused: At 3:02, the song immediately switches from 7/4 to 4/4 playing a two-bar bridge (in 4/4) made of 8th note triplets played by the whole band. It returns to 7/4 at 5:07 without any extra beats in between.

7. Anything by Meshuggah.

8. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Yes, I do agree about Meshuggah. Especially New Millennium Cyanide Christ, it's in 23/16! The drumming is also polyrythmic (the drum set is drumming in 4/4 and the double bass drums are in 23/16, like the guitars) which is very cool.

9. mike_Ro11

mike_Ro11

Dec 17, 2007
    Soundgarden- Outshined 7/4
    Soundgarden- Rusty Cage 19/8 switches to 4/4 at parts.

Tool- the Pot
    Tool- Schism has several different odd time sigs.

10. hey

hey

Jul 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    The Dance of Eternity by Dream Theater incorporates all these time signatures throughout the song (in order when they appear):

4/4, 3/4, 7/8, 5/8, 3/8, 7/16, 2/4, 5/4, 6/4, 12/8, 5/16, 9/8, 15/8, 11/8, 6/16, 6/8

11. mike_Ro11

mike_Ro11

Dec 17, 2007
    Lot's and lots of Tool songs have odd time sigs. The two I mentioned before aren't the only ones. Tool has a ton.

12. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    What, no King Crimson? Thela Hun GinJeet has the greatest poly rhythm in rock that I've heard... Not to mention all their other great oddball meters...

13. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Errata's Miss Discord... 33/16 with the guitar diddling 6/8 over the top.

14. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    The Pot is in 4/4, 3/4, and 9/8
    Schism is in mainly in 6/8 (with some rythmical hiccups), however, it also does go into 6/½ which is quite odd.
    I love to write songs with times like that. My wierdest time is either 2 and an eighth/½ or the one I wrote in Free Time... AKA no time signature!:D

15. +100000000000 beat me to i t:D

16. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I sing in a choir, and we do some old renaissance stuff that has no time signature :eek:

17. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Meshuggah openly admit they feel everything out in 4/4 though and just play over the bar.

They have many interviews stating it as well as I've had the privillage of meeting them and working with them before I saw any of the interviews. First time was when they opened up for Tool. I took my handicapped friend to the show and we got in way early and got to meet Meshuggah. We got to ask all kinds of questions and they gave us guitar picks and drum sticks. After that they played a small club I worked at (max cap 660) twice within a year. It was really cool working for them as they are very intellegent guys and have a very quirky sence of humor. I even got to drive them to Walmart! It was nice to kick back and drink beer with them after the shows.

Lots of old Candiria (circa 300% density and older) does a lot of odd times and polymetric stuff.

Check out the band Hella. They do some awesome odd time stuff.

Imogens Puzzle by Psyopus is pretty sweet, part II is awesome as well.

Dillenger Escape Plan was mentioned, but go back further to the Calculating Infinity album to see the apex of their technical stature. It'll blow your mind. They do a lot of mirroring and algorhythmic stuff.

There's endless more, I second the Porcupine Tree, that band is wonderful.

Peace

-Benny

18. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    The band After The Burial from Minnesota has a song called "Pi: The Mercury God Of Infinity" which uses PI to make a break down. Here's the excerpt from their myspace blog explain it. Sadly the song is no longer on their page as they went through some changes, got signed to Sumerian Records and are going a bit different direction with their 8 string Ibanezes.

Check it out.

I can send the song to anyone who would like it? Message me or add me on AIM.

-Benny

19. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    You didn't bring up Necrophagist They mostly do weird time sig fills though, but that's cool I'm surprised you didn't bring up "Take 5". Every musician should know that song, especially when talking about Time sigs. Ever hear of Stravinsky?

Stravinsky%2C_The_Rite_of_Spring%2C_Sacrificial_Dance.

20. Eleven - Primus