1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sonic Maximizer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pineapplerobot, Jul 29, 2012.

1. pineapplerobot

pineapplerobot

Jul 23, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Who uses one and why? What do you like/dislike about them?

I have a BBE 882i Sonic Maximizer in the rack mount of my older Fender Bassman 400 Combo amp. I've had it in there for a couple years now and took it out the other day because something was rattling on the amp and I thought that was the culprit. It was not. Either way, I liked the sound a bit more, it was more clear but the volume was a bit lower. I had used it more often when my rig just wasn't loud enough. Tell me your stories of them! I had a sound guy get pissed I was using one once, called me a "loser with a glorified boost switch." Not sure if I need it, so I'll be selling it... or maybe see how I like it with my current rig.

What does TB thing about these things?

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Hate to say it but do a search. There are dozens of threads on this particular subject.

Riis

3. pineapplerobot

pineapplerobot

Jul 23, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Ahhh, newb here, been a while since I have been on forums. My bad!

4. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    No problem. The Sonic Max controversy has been going on for years here at TB. One camp thinks they're the greatest thing since sliced bread...the other feels they're better suited as doorstops.

For God's sake, don't go over to the Repair / Set-up forum and mention "shims".

Riis

5. Vinnyboonbots

Vinnyboonbots Banned

May 25, 2012
    I won't get into the controversy. I think they're amazing for getting a cleaner, clearer sound. If you use it correctly, IN THE LEAST, it'll act as a power boost with virtually no hiss.

6. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

The Sonic Maximizer is basically a high frequency expander. The more highs you have, the more it boosts them. Kinda like the highest band of the old 3BX expaqnder. Because there is so much high boost, it also has a fixed bass boost to help the sound stay somewhat balanced. It can create up to 26 dB of boost, so you must be careful of clipping.

If you like the sound of extensive high boost - go for it.

7. Vinnyboonbots

Vinnyboonbots Banned

May 25, 2012
    I disagree with this. It appears to boost highs because there is more clarity but there are actually more lows as well, but the lows are tighter.

8. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

This is not my opinion. The techs I was working with have carefully analyzed the circuit. Boosted highs can help the lows seem more clear as well.

9. Vinnyboonbots

Vinnyboonbots Banned

May 25, 2012
    Techs have varying opinions. There are definitely more lows as well. The entire overtone series is enhanced.

10. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I'm a day late and a dollaar short on this but I use one and I think a lot depends on the music you play. I play Funk and R&B and some Smooth Jazz. For these Genres the Sonic Maximizer works well. Even if I play with a guitarist I can still use it and it sounds good in the mix. In a rock setting it may be a different thing as you have to deal with guitars in the mix in a much different way. In Funk, the guitar is playing chords but they just add sparkle and flavor to the mix. In rock, guitars provide walls of sound, and some guitarists are rather bassy in their setup. In contrast, with funk, I'm competing with no one with the exception of a keyboard player who grew up in church and has a bass heavy left hand. And then of course there is the kick drum. To date I have not had a problem and the sonic maximer I use adds sparkle, and sizzle to the top as well a nice tight and still somewhat warm bottom to my mix. In a nutshell, in works for me in Funk, R&B, and Smooth Jazz. IMO bass players in rock groups have it harder in terms of dealing with stage sound, house sound, and the final mix. Much more mid-range is needed to cut through.

11. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The SM actually has two crossover points with subtle delays added to the mids and lows. BBE actually sent me the freq points and delay times but darned if I can find them. This is why you never want to stick them in an aux send / return or any configuration which blends the SM processed signal back into the main mix. It creates some very freaky cancellations...this I've heard firsthand.

Riis

12. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Based on BBE's own published specs, the Sonic Maximizer is a 2 band, boost-only shelving eq with a fixed (not adjustable) delay on the highs.

If you turn up the "lo contour", you're just boosting the bass shelf. The "high process", simply boosting the high band shelf!