1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOund proofing apartment

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kazuya, Mar 8, 2008.

1. kazuya

kazuya

Oct 26, 2007
    well, i live on the second floor of a 3 story apartment. Luckily the lady below me is old and very nice. She asked my fiancee if I has a guitar or something cause when i play eveything in her room rattles. The thing is, i dont play a high volumes in the apartment. So what would be the best way to lessen the bass rattle im giving her?

2. Bo_H

Bo_H

Jul 2, 2004
    Short of using headphones, I don't know of any other solution.

Suscribed...

Bo

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You won't ever be able to "soundproof", as that requires a lot of tech and materials and $$$. But you can reduce the impact to her by laying down several carpets on top of each other in your music room. Also put in some bookshelves and fill them with books or clothing. Also make sure any air gaps are sealed- sound travels through air, so if there are cracks in the floor, a gap under the door, a shared heat vent, a nearby bathroom air vent, or any other way that air may travel from your space into hers, seal it up. if you can't perma-seal, then carpets or rolled-up sweatshirts or bags of laundry can work OK.

4. kazuya

kazuya

Oct 26, 2007
    cool, thanks. Im sorry, didnt mean to mislead. I knew i couldnt "sound proof" it, its late and i was short of words. Reduce the impact. I keep all my music stuff in my room since its a VERY large room. Her floor plan is the same as mine. So her room is exactly under mine. The vents are in the bathroom which connects to my room. so i guess i can close the door. stuff some carpets under the amp, and possible seal off the door with shirts. My next door neighbor is never home, and the guys above me are either drug dealers, potheads or a combination of the 2. So shes my main concern. Im just glad she talked to us instead of complaining. 3 strikes and were out at these apartments.

I just cant practice with headphones on. I get headaches plus, it just doesnt feel the same.

5. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    The only thing that stops 100hz and below is solid cement ($12,000 minimum). Headphones would be cheaper.

6. Mharris

Mharris

Sep 25, 2007
    Missoula Montana
    I'm having a similiar problem in my apartment except I don't have a nice little old lady living downstairs. We've already gotten about 3 noise complaints, the next one we're booted. I'm scared to breath let alone turn my amp on.

Moving out is my solution...

7. cut your low frequencies on the amp. That way nothing should rattle.

Also maybe get the amp off the floor on a pillow or something.

8. I had a similar problem, though in place of a nice little old lady, I have the world's worst neighbours. I bought a Presonus Firebox and an adapter so that I can play along with the tunes on my computer, or just through headphones.

9. kazuya

kazuya

Oct 26, 2007
    Yeah, its some scary ****. In 2 months my lease is up. Bro is gonna go do his own thing. SO im gonna down size to a 1bdrm. Im asking for a downstairs apartment. Cant wait, to get my own house.

10. kazuya

kazuya

Oct 26, 2007

Yeah, i put my smaller amp on top of my cab. I think it helps. She hasnt said anything since the last time. So i think were good. But im just worrying, because the whole week after good friday im on vacation. So when im not partying ill be at home playing the **** out of my bass. :bassist:

11. Even putting it on a speaker cabinet will couple the combo with the floor (although not as much) I would still put it on something soft even on top of your cabinet to be sure.