Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

soundcards

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jaggedsphere, Oct 20, 2003.

1. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    what are the various soundcard manufacturers? I would like to get something which would allow me to do midi but mostly record direct from source to 'puter.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Good cards are the Delta cards by M-Audio/Midiman.

The M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 is a great entry-level card (JMX is a proud owner). Great converters, low latency and great software drivers.

www.midiman.com

Avoid the Creative Labs Audigy (2) cards, a little cheaper but not worth the hassle.

Top of the line is RME:

www.rme-audio.de

3. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    great! thanks oh an BTW I figured that:

was a given!:p

4. i've got an RME 9652 with the adat ins and outs. works and sounds great! it lacks midi though.

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    What is a hassle about the audigy cards?

6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The chip on it works only with 48kHz sampling rate. All other rates, e.g. 44.1 kHz have to be resampled on the fly. Result: High latency.
    This used to be the same way with the SBLive (which I used to own).

You can get low latency by using the ASIO drivers, but this driver only works at 48 kHz, which means you need to resample all audio samples you use from a CD etc. and can only record in 48 kHz.

Also, you can only record in 16 bit, which they don't really tell you.

I helped a friend the other day who owns a Audigy, and this 48 kHz issue is a major hassle. It might be no problem if you have the disk space to record all stuff in 48 and you don't use any CD samples.

But for all others it's a horror, because you either have to use the high latency drivers and thus can't really play VSTis or you have low latency but need to resample EVERYTHING by hand in order to use it for your projects.

But all this you don't hear in your music store or from Creative.

Buy a M-Audio Audiophile and put all this behind. I did.

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks for your reply, I just bought a soundblaster 5.1 live, and honestly have no idea what most of your post meant, as I am learning at this point.

Hmm.....see my minidisc thread in this forum for my intentions, and let me know if I am screwed or not please? :D

8. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You're not really screwed, since you don't need low latency for this, and the resampling won't degrade your mix.

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio