1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Source Audio Programmable EQ VERSUS Boss GEB7... Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Aug 11, 2012.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I just bought a Source Audio Programmable EQ and I also have a Boss GEB7.

I havent used the Source Audio Programmable EQ too much, but I find I can not dial in the tone that the GEB7 gives me. When I am playing with a pick (maybe 5 songs a night max) I like to achieve the warmth of fingerstyle. The only reason I use a pick is for increased speed (yes, yes I know I should just practice more). Anyway, I can get the tone easily enough with the geb7. What I do is keep the 50hz flat, boost the 120hz by about 3db and cut everything else by 15db.

The hz on the geb7 are:

50hz, 120hz, 400hz, 500hz, 800hz, 4.5k, 10k

The hz on the Source Audio Programmable EQ are:
    62hz, 125hz, 250hz, 500hz, 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k.

When I leave the 62hz flat, and boost the 125hz 3db and cut everything else I still get the high 'click' of the pick.

Any idea what I could do differently? The other notable thing is that the Source Audio Programmable EQ is + or - 18d while the geb7 is + or - 15db. Wouldn't that lead to cutting more highs on the Source Audio Programmable EQ?

I guess what I could do is sell the Source Audio Programmable EQ and just get another geb7. However, I'd rather not do that if possible. That would give me 4 pedals on mini pedal board when I'd rather keep it to 3. Plus the Source Audio Programmable EQ is much more versatile and I'd like to keep it.

Any ideas how to get less pick 'click' on the Source Audio Programmable EQ?

2. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    No idea, but what I do know is that, I tried the Source Audio EQ against the EWS BMC and much preferred the BMC. Get pretty much any sound you want quickly and easily from just a single band semi-parametric EQ. Fantastic pedal.

3. The SA has a freq selector I believe which shifts the Hz but I'm presuming you have already played about with it. If not have a look at their demo on youtube and it shows you hoe to do this.

Good luck

Oh and I have a BMC arriving this eveing so look forward to giving my views following rehearsal on Saturday