1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SPB-2 or SPB-3!?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by deadstar, Nov 9, 2006.

1. deadstar

deadstar

Sep 2, 2005
    Im gunna get one of the 2 from seymour duncan but i was just wondering which one you all thought was the best?

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The 3 for me. See my earlier reply today about Dimarzio vs Seymour Duncan vintage.

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    It depends on your goals. If you want an essentially vintage tone, but with higher output, fatter low mids, and rolled off treble, get the SPB-2. I had one for awhile, and it's excellent, but the huge low-mid bump didn't work so well in my modern rock band, and I prefer a more raw, gritty tone compared to the smoothness of the SPB-2. I also like having that "ringing" treble on tap if I want it.

If you want still higher output that's more even across the frequency range, with a hot high end and deeper lows, the Quarter Pounder is a better bet. It's definitely a P-bass tone, but not as vintage to my ears as the SPB-2. I also think it's pretty smooth, but maybe not as much as the SPB-2. (If you want a raw, slightly gritty tone, get Lindy Fralin.) I was planning to get another P-bass to use with a Quarter Pounder, but then I tried a G&L L-1500, and went that route instead for a hard-hitting, full range single pickup bass.