Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

speak-on jacks and cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Jul 22, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i had a svt 3 pro and an ampeg 610hlf.

now i used to use a speak-on/1/4 jack. with the speakon in the head.

now my new head doesnt have speak on jacks. is the speak-on going to be the same at both ends? where i can plug what i used to plug into the head, now into the cab?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Yes. You can use the jack the other way. I have the same head as you do now, and I use a 1/4 to speakon, with the speakon going in my cab.

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ok, cool.

i wasnt sure, i thought i had tried it once and it didnt work or something or maybe that was because i had the mono speak on with my 8x10

either way thanks. wish i had asked this question or even thought about it before i spent money on a speaker cable when i had a perfectly good one with the speak on.

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Must be an old one, the 3PROs have had a speakon for some time now..... as in several years.

Yes cable is reversible.

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    MY NEW HEAD, not my 3 pro.

3 pro has speak ons, new 400plus does not.

6. I can understand where jerrold's coming from, i read it and went

"didnt he just get a 400+ too? greedy git" :p

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    first line says.

i HAD an svt 3 pro. :rollno:

8. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Right, then....

I don't read ALL the posts, but now that you mention it, I do recall that one..... oh well...... the perils of buzzing thru the posts quickly before the next meeting.

9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    its all good bro. i do the same thing :bassist:

10. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Does using a Speakon connection make much of a difference to your tone, or is it just safter to use with large wattages?

I've got an SVT3-Pro, and Avatar B212, and I've used them together with a regular ol' speaker cable the entire 4 months I've had it. Just wondering if switching to Speakon will make much difference.