Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker Cable Question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan T., Jan 27, 2006.

1. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    So I'm using the White Ended Monster Cable Speaker Cables on my Ampeg Svt4 into my 810 as well as my Mesa 400+ into my Mesa 215. My question is, is the Monster Speaker Cable a high enough gauge for these amp/cab combo's? Someone told me I needed a higher gauge cable, and I never realized. Thanks for any help!

2. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    What guage are they? For most bass rigs, 14 or above should work. Typically our cables are so short, that the need for a higher guage is not really there, just so the cable can handle the power. Heavier guage won't be a problem, but at some point, it becomes just more weight and money to haul around . . . ]

Since the 400+ is "only" 500 watts, you should be able to use 16 guage with no problems as well . . . . just so they are short.

- Tim

3. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
  4. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Welcome to the world of BS audio products. They spew a bunch of nonsense, and convieniently omit the only specs that matter. I don't remember who coined the phrase, but "Placebo Cables" come to mind. Having said that, I would think that Monster would be an adequate guage . . . . al,though they seem to go out of their way to not mention it.

- Tim

5. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    haha true, well thanks for the help anyways! anybody else have any idea?

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Yes, make your own and pay for quality, not hype. No one needs better or more expensive cable than this, and the Neutrik connectors available at the same site are as good as you can get.[​IMG]

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=100-482

7. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I make my own speaker cables from 12 gauge SJT cable and Neutrik Speakon connectors. Heck, you could use 12 gauge zip cord if you wanted to, it's cheap and it does the job just fine. The only tools you need are a small screwdriver, a pair of wire cutters, and a wire stripper (a razor blade will do). It takes me all of 15 minutes to make one cable.

I'll second the Parts Express recommendation. There are other good suppliers out there, like MarkerTek. The parts are commodities, so you can shop for price and still know you're going to get the good stuff.

8. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    Your Monster P500 spk cable is 14 gauge, you're in the clear. :hyper:

9. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    thank for the home made suggestions, thanks alot for the knowledge mac gear!!!!

10. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    You're welcome Dan. Price wise you're better off (in the future) to make your own. Sonically, my ears can't tell the difference, but my pocket does. :) The parts site is a good one.

11. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Price wise, I have found Mouser electronics to have some of the best prices I have ever found for Neutrik and Switchcraft - www.mouser.com. For cable, I tend to use black rubber SJO power cable - available in pretty much any even guage from 18 to 10 or so, at your local home supply. Perhaps a tad less flexible than the stuff Bill linked to, but just as rugged (if not moreso) and generally easier to find and cheaper. Heck, the supplier here has 14/4 for $.33/foot, which makes killer biamp cables for GK HMS setups, for less than $10 per cable, connectors included!

- Tim

12. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    SJ works OK but it uses raw copper that doesn't solder well. Also, many places don't carry 2 conductor, only 3 or more, and you end up paying for and having to lug around more conductors than you need. But it's just the ticket for AC lines.

13. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Bill -

I dunno . . . unless it is old and oxidized, I have never had a bit of problem getting solder to easily flow into SJ/SJO cable. If it is ancient, then yeah, it can be a bit of a challenge, but still doable. For speakon use, at any rate, that's not an issue, since they are not soldered.

Also, I don't know about the suppliers in your area, but I can get 2 wire SJ at pretty much any building supply house or electrical supplier here in my area . . and either by the foot or spool. Frankly, I have never even had a place be out of stock . . . I always find it . . . .

- Tim

14. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Even with Speakons I prefer to tin the end of the wire for a better grip. Around here there's so little demand for a 2 conductor wire for AC that the supply houses stopped carrying it.

15. Bill,

I use Van Damme 2x1.5mm speaker cable for my speaker leads.
    http://www.vdctrading.com/products.asp?SubSectionID=1&ProductID=15
    I'm not familiar with gauges of cable and can't visualize what 16 gauge or anything else would be.

What gauge is a 1.5mm conductor? Is it large enough?

I run a QSC RMX2450, bridged into 8 ohms (1300 watts I believe).

Should I upgrade to the 2x2.5mm or 2x6mm cable or am I okay?

Cheers.

16. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
  17. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    1.5mm is somewhere between 14 and 15 gage, which are 2.5 and 3.2 Ohms per 1000 feet, respectively. Assuming that the speaker cable is not more than a few feet long, you are probably OK. For the wire gage table, check out:

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

18. Sorry about that Bill. This is a link to the company I actually buy it from. They seem to have much more detailed information than the manufacturers!!

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=CB04668&N=411

The catalogue page link gives more info too.

19. Thanks for the link, fdeck. I've added it to my favourites list. Useful.

Yeah the cable is speakon to speakon and is around about 3 feet long...maybe even two feet.

For the sake of £5 I might just get some 2.5 or even 6mm if it fits into the terminals on the speakon.

20. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    1.5mm appears to be about 16ga, for a run of 3 feet or less quite adequate for 500 watts minimum. 6mm is large enough to power your entire house.