1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker question.

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by O'Dubhain82, May 10, 2015.

1. O'Dubhain82

O'Dubhain82

Oct 2, 2008
    So, my 3 piece band is finally getting gig ready but my amp isn't up to the job. It's a 50 watt crate and I don't really use it for rehersals as we don't have a drummer.
    I have access to my guitarist's 400 watt trace elliot bass head but his cab is a 4 x 12 monster.
    I'm looking at a diy cab with either an eminence delta 12a or delta 12lfa.
    Could anyone tell me which one would would suit double bass better?

2. Why not start with something designed for bass rather than some speakers which may or may not be effective in a bass cabinet? Seems like you might be setting yourself up to fail before you've started.

There is a very popular line of bass cabs already designed with full plans available for free. Don't reinvent the wheel unless you really have a knack for wheels.

3. O'Dubhain82

O'Dubhain82

Oct 2, 2008
    Appreciate the reply.
    Could you point me in the direction of a 1x12 plan using an eminence speaker?

4. O'Dubhain82

O'Dubhain82

Oct 2, 2008
  5. Francis Deck has a plan for a 1x12 that he uses. He is well known for his HPFpre preamp here on talkbass.

JeffKissell likes this.
  6. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Bergantino does not say what is in their cabs but the HD112 is fabulous

7. O'Dubhain82

O'Dubhain82

Oct 2, 2008
    Thanks for the help everyone.
    Got some reading ahead of me!
    Guitarists have it easy. Open or closed.

8. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Speakers tend to be very subjective, so it's hard to tell someone else what they will like. Over the years I have tried many speakers that were highly recommended only to find they weren't for me.

I would try not to limit yourself to any specific brands or design concepts. There are a lot of choices out there.

9. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    Fdecks cab design is aimed at double bass and is not very hard to build, so that's a good bet.

If you want something cheap, easy and tomorrow, a closed cab with a reasonable 12" can be quite usable for double bass. A closed cab is much easier to design and build and you do not nescesarilly need a lot of deep bass response for DB. The eminence delta 12 will do, the lf version won't because you need the mid frequencies. You can use the instructions and build plans from the eminence site. I'm guessing you chose the delta based on cost? Otherwise the deltalite 12" has proven itself to work well with DB.

If you want to go louder, hifi or more bass you'll need a more complicated design and you need to know what you are doing.