1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speaker Recognition

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by edri, Jan 25, 2012.

1. edri

edri

Jan 25, 2012
    I am new at this forum so hello everyone!:bag:
    First of all sorry about my language mistakes. I hope that everything will be clear :)

I have got SWR Goliath II cabinet, and on the back there is signature: "By Eden". It is really great but membrane of one speaker has been damaged.

And I don't know what is the model of this speaker. It should be PAS driver, but when I was searching on the internet, i've only found goliath II speakers with blue membrane. In my cabinet membrane is gray/black. So i am confused and mayby You will know something more about SWR goliath II by Eden speakers.
    On other forum I've found this "Over the years, the pre-Fender SWR Co. used speakers from several vendors, e.g., Bag End, PAS, Celestion, and Eminence. (...)"
    This is the answer why i am not sure about model of my Goliath II speakers.

Some pictures of my speaker here:
    ImageShack Album - 4 images

And in this speaker front is almost identical like in my driver, only difference is that in my speakers there are 4 screw holes. This speaker is:Eminence Beta 10A PA Replacement Speaker
    http://static.music123.com/derivates/18/001/331/210/DV016_Jpg_Large_667719.153_front.jpg
    But only the front of speaker looks like mine...
    Rest is diffrent but looks little bit similar:
    http://static.music123.com/derivates/18/001/331/211/DV016_Jpg_Large_667719.153_10in_side.jpg:help:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    When you say "membrane" is damaged, I think you're talking about what we usually call the "cone," right? If it's a rip in the cone, you can usually fix them with rubber cement if they're small, or you might need to reinforce it with a thin piece of paper and rubber cement. I've seen emergency repairs done with duct tape and they work fine, too. Just make sure you don't have a hole that air can leak out.

I don't know if those old Eden speakers can be reconed with new reconing kits that match up identically, but reconing is also a possibility because they might be able to get close enough. But it's way more expensive than rubber cement, and as long as it's just a rip in the cone, it usually works fine to repair it that way.

3. edri

edri

Jan 25, 2012
    That is right, this is cone, sorry!
    I've got a problem beacause i don't have this cone :( (Long story with service fail)...
    So i am trying to get the model of my speaker and find recone kit or similar parts...

EDIT

I've found this: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f127/eden-swr-10-speakers-746674/
    They looks like mine!

4. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    If the tear in the cone isn't too large fix it with elmers glue and coffee filter. It's more of a mend really. If you can't do that contact PAS in California for a new driver.

The cab was probably made by Dave Eden for Steve W Rabe They worked to gether at Acoustic.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    There is no Dave Eden. Eden was founded by David Nordschow, early rigs were called David as a reference to their smaller size compared to the giants they supposedly killed. The name caught on and eventually was applied to all Eden products.
    OP, you're probably best off to replace the drivers. PAS doesn't make bass cabs drivers anymore, and Eden has stopped making them as well, so original replacements are probably out of the question. Do a search, others have successfully used newer Eminence drivers in old Goliaths.