1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speaker size & changes in technology

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bpwb, Mar 31, 2007.

1. bpwb

bpwb Supporting Member

It seems as though, yesterday's 15" is today's 10".

Looking for some thoughts from the group on speaker size and the changes in technology. I am an intermediate player and I have been thinking about making a change to my rig. I currently have a Bergantino HT322 which I think is wonderful and frankly I have no reason to be looking but ............. I met Mark Wright of Accugroove last week and learned for the first time about his gear and his approach to bass amplification and I like what I read. Along with my HT322, I also had a Bergantino NV425 but I sold it to make room for some other (non-music) stuff. I miss the sound of the 15" speaker in the NV425 but don't miss the lack of tweeter or horn and the big size and weight of the cabinet. I like the fact that the Accugroove El Whappo has a 15" in it and is lighter than the Berg Ht322 but I am aftraid that I will miss the 10" speakers in the Berg. I seems that a large number of pros use cabinets with large numbers of 10s in their cabinets and there is usually one or more 15s around too. Now there seems to be a big push on 12s by a number of the high end manufacturers. So are the newer 12s just as good at pushing the air and holding the mid punch or are they a compromise between the two?

I will be playing a few songs at a church gig tomorrow with a an El Whappo live and I am hoping to get a chance to A/B it with my Berg HT322 after the services. My head has been spinning the last few days trying to think about all of the variables involved and what I stand to gain/lose by switching to the El Whappo and if I may regret dumping the Berg.

I have read pages and pages of the comparisons between several different cabs and the Accugrooves and it seems that most of the reviews are very positive.

I play Sadowsky four and five string basses with a maple boards which tends to be bright and I usually turn down the treble. This I think should negate much of what I have read on the threads about the supposed lack of bright highs on the Accugroove or what the article said about muted highs. I use an Aguilar DB750 for my head. I mostly play in churches and some small concert venues and maybe an occasonal street fair or something like that.

I really like the way much current setup sounds but I still miss the lows that come from the 15" speakers but don't want to give up the mid range bite that my Berg delivers so nicely. In other words, the mid tone is more important to me than the big low but both would be awesome.

With the the Accugroove covering the mids with a 12" and a 6" speaker as an alternative, might I be disappointed and should I just leave well enough alone? Would love to hear some thoughts from you folks out there that know a lot more about this stuff than I do. Obviosuly I will have to hear it for myself but wanted to see what some thoughts are out there in bass land mostly on the different speakers sizes specifically and less on the comparison of the two cabs, because that has been done alot already. Thanks a bunch!

2. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    personally, I'm a big fan of 12's. kinda best of both worlds between 10's & 15's. good example is iron maiden, harris used marshal 4x12 cabs on tour back in the day. 12's for bass is not new, its just making a bit of a come back especialy with neo mags to keep the weight down. just my 2 cents...peace

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    What's really happened is that there have been parallel advances in driver technology and our understanding of speaker design. There is no longer a strong relationship between driver size and tone, if there ever was one. But overall cone area does play into where a speaker lives within the rule of "small, loud, and low, pick any two."