Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker Wire Question need help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, May 25, 2005.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hi

So I wanted to get the crazy speaker wire for my new over powered amp

I need 1/4 in to banana plug set up, I bought a Pro Co Fat max "8 guage"1/4 inch to 1/4inch speaker cable and a bannana Jack.

Cut off the end of the wire and...... It has Four wires! I asssume that these are connected 2+,2 Ground.

now because these are four wires is that not the same as two Fatter wires?

Aj

2. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sorry, I can't help you out with that 4 wire thing...

But 8 gauge?! :eek: WHOA! Now that's huge!

I gotta get up on that!

No wait, I already use these:

[​IMG]

But I think these are only petty 10 gauge or something like that. Bah.

(I swear I bought these for their sheer kick-@ss thickness. Not for their "better" sound...no please, don't hurt me!!!!!!!!)

*btw, anyone else use these? :ninja: *

3. Waht is it? im intreagued

4. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think I got the info for those Fat Max wires. These look pretty cool!

From the diagram and description (http://www.procosound.com/fatmax.htm), yeah, it seems like its really just 2 really fat wires made up of 4 wires. Since I'm definitely no electrician, it seems like it's double grounded? Still looks cool though...

These are MIT speaker cables with some "crossover network" thingy in the middle. I dunno. I just bought them from some dude for crazy CHEAP. And they work. So I'm gonna go ahead and hear the better difference than my monster cables :D Check it out: http://www.mitcables.com/products/products.asp . It's so overkill...I love it! But only cuz they were cheap. Otherwise, :spit:

(If these MIT's are on par with the Tara Labs type stuff, TB is gonna curse me I think... :ninja: )

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    They're probably four 11-gauge wires. That would be the equivalent of two 8-gauge.

Be sure to double up the appropriate wires when you attach the banana plug.