Speakon cables stuck in cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rick1906, Jul 10, 2017.

1. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    +1

eagle67 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  2. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Your cheap knock-off SpeakON might cause you more headaches than it's worth in savings.

4. bassplayertom77

bassplayertom77

Sep 24, 2008
    Whiskey and rage...and a sawzall

ezra1 likes this.
  5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
  6. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    I think you are reading too much into what I said. I accidentally did one of them that way, actually one end. All you have to do to fix it is unscrew the blue part, pull the center piece back out, and put it in the right direction. I never left it that way. I noticed it as soon as I inserted into my amp when testing the cables I put together. Noticed it not was clicking in and not in the right orientation. These work perfectly fine. My only worry is how durable they are, but I saved about 100' of cable, and made about 8 different cables for our PA and bass amp for them. No issues so far.

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Maybe he was looking for a permanent connection solution?

agedhorse likes this.
  8. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    What is not permanent about these? Just because they aren't the higher quality name brand ones doesn't mean it's not an inexpensive usable product.

9. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

Looking at that pic, take the inputs out of the cab, and turn them around so the latches face AWAY from each other...

What mental midget assembled this thing?

10. mikew31

mikew31 Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Superior, WI
    Pretty sure he meant "permanent" as a joke referring to the OP. As in they're permanent if you can't get them out.:roflmao:

Jeff Scott likes this.
  11. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    I have seen enough non-genuine SpeakOn connectors come apart internally and also destroy the mating connector (thus requiring an amp or speaker cabinet repair) that I can offer my honest opinion that they are a terrible option.

The folks who saved a dollar only to end up with a $100 repair on an amp generally wish they spent the extra dollar.

12. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    Look, I get it. But, I think we have skewed from the OP here and getting on a soap box at this point.

I am not trying to convince anyone to buy anything, only relating my experience, and offering what I know to help the guy fix his current situation. If he wants to purchase the higher end connection, I am not trying to tell him not to. I don't think anyone knows the origin of the OP's cable, so what is the point of all this?

My situtation:
    When buying anything you have to factor in how much you are using/abusing things verses costs. The cables I started with had already failed on the 1/4" end and already had an off brand speakon on the other side, so I am 4-5 years into these cables with only failure being the 1/4 ends. So, these are cheap cables with cheap ends. Why would I consider buying name brand connectors for this? I wouldn't. I know how much these cables get used, I take care of them, so yes, it's a calculated risk. It also relative... the cables we used before I bought my own were in even worse condition, so if the band was willing to use those, this isn't a big deal really.

13. Some products are more costly because they're worth it. I've lost that argument too many times to be adamant about it, though. My staunch position on design is that any engineer who designs anything should be condemned for all eternity to use it.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Whatever, it's not just about you and your rather singular situation.

Perhaps there are others who might learn from your experience, and the additional information I have provided?

Old Garage-Bander and Fat Freddy like this.
  15. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    That should be common sense :) Better cables = less issues

16. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Engle, rufus.K and S-Bigbottom like this.
  17. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Either that or train some ants....:thumbsup::)

S-Bigbottom and BadExample like this.
  18. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Plain or mint flavored ants?

Fat Freddy likes this.
  19. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Hmmm....That'll need a bit of a ponder.....:unsure:

BadExample likes this.
  20. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    For me, it's too late now. I already bought the ones I did, and I don't have any qualms about using them since I put them together and have tested and used them. I certainly trust them more than the 1/4 connector that was on them before. And, they really aren't any cheaper price wise, quality is yet to be determined.

I have some other 1/4 speaker cables that will need conversion, and will probably purchase a few of these to compare quality.

BadExample likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021