Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Special Order Warwicks!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sshorepunk, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Hey!
    Lots of Warwick threads going on at the moment, so here's another!
    I remeber a warwick brochure from a few years back had some pictures of streamer jazzman basses finished in different woods than they offer as stock, also maple boards.
    I've seen a few around at shows and on the internet and they look cool, I don't think Warwick push this side of their business too much, but they should 'cos they make some cool basses.
    So show us your special order Warwicks!
    Heres one I found on the low end site, this is giving me serious GAS, as is the maple Dolphin in another thread!!

[​IMG]

Tony

2. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    On the German W site you have the Custom Shop and some featured customs.
    They dont show it much because they sometimes have very high prices for customs

Pistolerace, since I really like my bubinga-bodied Corvette, I'm considering a bass in the next few years that will most probably have quilted bubinga top and ash back - how does that wood combo sound?
    Thanks for help

*Thread hijack off*

4. I think I jsut creamed my pants looking at those warwicks. ;-)

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Haha! Nick pooped his pants! Nanner Nanner!

6. Yes, Warwick's German site is a must see for some custom shop examples. Personally I like this one, event though I dislike black hardware, and would have prefered gold or chrome.

[​IMG]

On the other hand, I find this to be outright terrible:

[​IMG]

7. Is this and the thumb that was shown tops tops made of the same peice of wood? Or are they matched really well?

8. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Its curly bubinga with the inner piece of the tree, sapwood it is called in English, if I'm not mistaken.

9. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    As for the first one, I think chrome would look bad on it, gold would be ok, though. Black makes a nice contrast, but a brass J-A-Nut I and a maple truss-rod cover would've been nice.

As for the Buzzard, thats how John Entwistle originally wanted it (but me, too, I dont like that blue in it)

10. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hmm... when I hear cream I usually associate with Prince's Cream, so... what flavour cream was it, vanilla or chocolate :oops: :D :p

11. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI

You are correct, it is the same piece of wood and they just matched it up so the sapwood is in the middle.

12. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    It was very nice with the combo of the Ash body and Maple fb, it got a nice bright but it wasn't harsh and it still had the Warwick growl that they are known for. If it didn't have the Maple fb, I don't think it I would have gotten that tone though. It was one of my favorite basses I have owned because of the tone and the looks didn't hurt either.

13. It's beautiful. I have a new favorite top. EDIT: Quilted Bubinga

14. Is that a Buzzard bass with a graphic of a falcon/hawk on it?

I'm sure there's something wrong with that idea, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

15. You certainly can't rave about the nice woodgrain on this one, but here's my custom "vintage white" Dolphin fiver with red landing lights...

[​IMG]

16. That's a Buzzard, seeing as the bass is called a Buzzard.

17. I thought it was a Buzzard bass with a buzzard on it, but that's just me. ;)

[​IMG]
    Read more at: http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/b/buzzard/index.asp

18. White Dolphins are my favourite Warwicks, when it comes to looks. Who needs fancy woodgrain?

19. Thanks.... I'm kinda partial to it myself. :p

20. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    That top of curly bubinga is very-very nice, but quilt bubinga is even nicer, imo. look at Munkio's OLD images of his Thumb.

And bubinga is not just aesthetically pleasing, but also it has a nice tone. And it even looks much better in person than on that picture - its got a very nice red-brown tint and a nice grain